Moving to Manchester

Clercqs

Hello City fans!
I'm 19 years old and live in Sweden, but in the near future I want to move to Manchester.

First of all, how easy/expensive is it to rent an apartment in Manchester? Can you recommend a specific area in Manchester which is to prefer?

Secondly, is it easy to get a job? I graduated from school this summer after reading Social Science, and right now am I studying in a university (until next summer) to become a coach in football. I'll have a decent amount of money to start with so I could easily settle with working in a boutique or supermarket to begin with. But how hard is it to get better jobs where you can afford travel abroad on vacation?

Last but definitely not least, how easy/hard is it to get a season ticket at the Etihad?

I'm thinking of moving there (if possible) in the next 10-12 months when I'm done with my education.

Firstly you'll probably love the City, I know I do, and I live 250km away these days.

My son (25) has just moved there in the last 6 months, he's moved in with 2 ex university mates, both southern born, my lad was born in Scotland, but brought up in southern England, the other 2 are southerners, and they both enjoy it. Their rent is reasonable at £400 a month each, and they have a nice new build flat, not far from the City centre. He applied for jobs before he moved up, and has got a job in recruitment, which is hard word work, and long hours, but he seems to be enjoying it, even though it had nothing to do with what he trained at Uni for.

Manchester is the place to move to in the UK right now, a rapidly growing City for young people, and it also has City as a bonus, its not expensive like London, and has everything London has, but all pretty local, unlike London. It also has some great places to visit on the doorstep, and is just over 2 hours from London by train, if you really fancy a change of scene.

Go for it, you'll love it, and the people in Manchester are great to get on with in general, once you get to know how they think.

Hello City fans!
I'm 19 years old and live in Sweden, but in the near future I want to move to Manchester.

First of all, how easy/expensive is it to rent an apartment in Manchester? Can you recommend a specific area in Manchester which is to prefer?

Secondly, is it easy to get a job? I graduated from school this summer after reading Social Science, and right now am I studying in a university (until next summer) to become a coach in football. I'll have a decent amount of money to start with so I could easily settle with working in a boutique or supermarket to begin with. But how hard is it to get better jobs where you can afford travel abroad on vacation?

Last but definitely not least, how easy/hard is it to get a season ticket at the Etihad?

I'm thinking of moving there (if possible) in the next 10-12 months when I'm done with my education.

Outside the city centre didsbury is the best place to live, getting a season ticket shouldn't be too much trouble, with regards a job one in your field I couldn't say, but jobs in general you would be fine with

Firstly you'll probably love the City, I know I do, and I live 250km away these days.

My son (25) has just moved there in the last 6 months, he's moved in with 2 ex university mates, both southern born, my lad was born in Scotland, but brought up in southern England, the other 2 are southerners, and they both enjoy it. Their rent is reasonable at £400 a month each, and they have a nice new build flat, not far from the City centre. He applied for jobs before he moved up, and has got a job in recruitment, which is hard word work, and long hours, but he seems to be enjoying it, even though it had nothing to do with what he trained at Uni for.

Manchester is the place to move to in the UK right now, a rapidly growing City for young people, and it also has City as a bonus, its not expensive like London, and has everything London has, but all pretty local, unlike London. It also has some great places to visit on the doorstep, and is just over 2 hours from London by train, if you really fancy a change of scene.

Go for it, you'll love it, and the people in Manchester are great to get on with in general, once you get to know how they think.
Sounds great, thanks! Have been in Manchester just once, when we drew against Everton (1-1) in December 2012. Enjoyed it very much.

Outside the city centre didsbury is the best place to live, getting a season ticket shouldn't be too much trouble, with regards a job one in your field I couldn't say, but jobs in general you would be fine with
Thank you.

What part of Sweden?
Stockholm. And you?

If you are moving here you might find it hard at first. It’s a great City Manchester but if you’re moving here on your own at 19 with no family/friend support it might not be the easiest transition for you. It will be a culture shock. Mancs are a great set of people but you need to know our humour to fit in really. Which you will pick up the longer you stay here of course.
I'd def flat share at first. It will be cheaper for you and a way of immediately meeting people who you can talk to and give you help and advice. Plus you can tag along with them and their friends until you get your bearings and your own set of mates.
Someone mentioned Didsbury, that has great links (tram, bus, train) into the City but it is pricey. Living in Mancheter City centre will be expensive also. Use the website rightmove.co.uk. Type in Manchester City centre and you will be able to look for flats on there. I though wouldn’t live directly in the City centre.
Tickets for City matches won’t be to difficult to get. Get a season ticket though as if you just buy per game it can be £50/£60 a match.
My Girlfriend is Danish and in the 4 years shes been here with me she has changed alot as a person. Shes fine now and works in the City centre but its not been an easy ride getting used to living here. The English you have learnt at School isnt the English people speak here. We use a lot of slang and sayings which you will struggle with until you adjust to our way of speaking ha!
Personally I’d stay where you are. Just pop over for trips to Manchester when you can afford it and get used to the place slowly rather than through yourself in the deep end. Plus the girls will be far nicer in Stockholm than some of the disasters you get here.

Didsbury is very expensive. A 1 bedroom flat will be about £500 or more a month. It is unbeatable for transport though with buses, trains and the Metro tram all linking it to the city.

You have access to Gbit lines at your house, i would stay put :-D

Manchester is a fine place to live now for someone your age, a lot of buildings going up and a general vibe of prosperity, i think anyway.
Not cheap to live here, would you house or flat share ?. Do not get a ground floor flat in Didsbury/uni area you will get burgled. You can get a place for 400pm that is ok if you look hard.
Not because it is rough but all uni areas get targeted.

Some nice parks on the way into town from any of these immediate surrounding areas where everyone relaxes in summer.
Big weed culture and general tolerance in these parks as long as you are not a twat.

Nice bars in the City, very multicultural, a perfect start for a lad moving from a nordic country imo.

You are exactly the sort of person the City wants to attract now so it is doing something right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.