Nets

My younger brother and I have been obsessed with goal nets ever since we were young kids in the mid 80s, so it's reassuring to see we're not alone in our fascination! I can still remember how we used to get so pissed off with how disappointingly rigid the old Subbuteo nets were compared to the massively deep ones that had captured our young imaginations during Mexico '86 that we even had our old fella up til all hours making us some bespoke ones!

As we got into our teens it got even worse, as we used to break into building sites after hours and steal whatever scaffold poles, fixings and netting we could, then take them back to our estate to put them altogether for our after school five a side street games :D

My favourites ever were the ones used in Italia 90, with the hexagonal netting design. Used to look so good when the ball went into them. Bloody scaffolders and their lack of hexagonal netting...

The one when Motty couldn’t pronounce Stanchion?
He shouted Stornshun, Stornshun ………

I don’t remember the commentary. But I do remember the referee. He was from Manchester and called Derek Webb and the poor fucker never lived it down.

As a young kid I remember the nets in the 1974 WC in West Germany - similar to what we have now…. Thought they were ace…. Tried to replicate them on my subbuteo WC set ! Of course as a kid we never played on pitches with nets - just goals… so many arguments about whether the ball had gone in or wide…. Them were the days.

As a young kid I remember the nets in the 1974 WC in West Germany - similar to what we have now…. Thought they were ace…. Tried to replicate them on my subbuteo WC set ! Of course as a kid we never played on pitches with nets - just goals… so many arguments about whether the ball had gone in or wide…. Them were the days.
IMG_1142.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.