New York City

Could do with some help on digs. We've provisionally booked a hotel for the 5 nights in the upper west side in Manhattan, doesn't look too far from Central Park but the cost is a bit more than I'm personally happy with but the wife seems happy with it. It's costing us just over £1000 with all the taxes and charges included. I'd like to save a few quid if I can as that saving could pay for a broadway show or something. Any help on this would be great. We'd like to maybe stay in the Hells Kitchen area of the City if possible.
Skyline in Hells kitchen isnt bad five minutes walk to Times square. Great veiws from the pool room, quite a small pool though.

Talking with a native New Yorker last night, he recommended the Lower East Side for good combination of bars and restaurants

I go to New York quite a bit with work. It's fucking massive, grubby and absolutely rammed full of bellends. You'll have fun though if your doing the touristy stuff for a few days. Other than that, meh.

As others have said, walk as much as you can, the subways are really handy, but walking gives you every aspect of the city. Brooklyn is one of the strangest places I've ever been to. Extreme wealth to abject poverty living literally next door to each other on some streets. Don't know why but couldn't get my head around the disparity.

Never once felt uneasy/unsafe, even walking (stumbling) about in the middle of the night after a few hours on the piss. There's groups of blokes stood about trying to sell you drugs (at night) but you'll never see so many coppers knocking about.

Go up the Rockafella rather that the Empire State, the view is a thousand times better.
Id also give the statue of liberty tour a miss, get the free ferry to Staten Island and you'll see it from there anyway. Go a little later in the day so you can get the ferry back at night, the view of the NYC skyline lit up is great. If you do end up doing the tour though dont waste your money on going up to the crown, theres no view, the walk up is horrible and its about 200 degrees up there!

My favourite night there which i ended up at out of chance was the Comedy Cellar, its pretty small so you will need to book in advance but its a really good night. The area around it is good at night too

There is some great advise on here , just to add my tuppence.

We stayed at Distrikt Hotel in Hells Kitchen last year .. small rooms , basic but clean and in a good location ( 5 minute walk to Times Sq.)
It won't break the bank.

If you fancy a look around Harlem , book into a restaurant called ' Red Rooster' ...great place.
We had dinner on the tables outside on the footpath and had a great night , never felt unsafe at all.

Hope it helps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.