Next season we need a 20th anniversary play off final away kit

I’m not saying we should wear navy to commorate the 86 youth cup win. I’m just saying a lot of people have fond memories of the crop of youth players from the late 80s who were all City fans who won the youth cup then went on to beat the Shite 5-1. Possibly before your time? ;-)
I think that's a great shout. Wish someone would write a book about that time.....

This may be deemed not relevant but gonna post it anyway.
Presently there are 5 other clubs in the premier league that since 1997 have won that paly off final, and for ones like stoke and burnley who had gone through times as bad or worse than us, those wins were just as important as ours in them returning to regular top flight football (with promotions and relegation comimg after, just like us).

As much as that day is important and vital to us and will always be a memorable day in our history, in the vast scheme of things it is not something to shout about as a great achievement, we should have been good enough to go straight back up and I will always love the day and remember it fondly, bit I would rather it had never had to happen in the first place.

If we are gonna make comemerative shirts for a play off win, we are open to piss taking.

Last edited:
This may be deemed not relevant but gonna post it anyway.
Presently there are 5 other clubs in the premier league that since 1997 have won that paly off final, and for ones like stoke and burnley who had gone through times as bad or worse than us, those wins were just as important as ours in them returning to regular top flight football (with promotions and relegation comimg after, just like us).

As much as that day is important and vital to us and will always be a memorable day in our history, in the vast scheme of things it is not something to shout about as a great achievement, we should have been good enough to go straight back up and I will always love the day and remember it fondly, bit I would rather it had never had to happen in the first place.

If we are gonna make comemerative shirts for a play off win, we are open to piss taking.

No one looks at it as an achievement.

It did however contain one of the most iconic goals and moments in the history of the club.

A moment so dramatic that it took a 93rd minute Premier League title winning goal to surpass it.

There's a reason that when you look around the stadium that you still see people with this shirt on, and it's one of the best sellers in the retro range. You'll have to ask yourself why that is.

People might say it should never have happened, but if it didn't then there's a chance we might not be where we are now. There were hard days to Coke after, but it was certainly a catalyst for future success.

image.jpg

Besides in present day kids absolutely love luminous kits!

No one looks at it as an achievement.

It did however contain one of the most iconic goals and moments in the history of the club.

A moment so dramatic that it took a 93rd minute Premier League title winning goal to surpass it.

There's a reason that when you look around the stadium that you still see people with this shirt on, and it's one of the best sellers in the retro range. You'll have to ask yourself why that is.

People might say it should never have happened, but if it didn't then there's a chance we might not be where we are now. There were hard days to Coke after, but it was certainly a catalyst for future success.

image.jpg

Besides in present day kids absolutely love luminous kits!

Not denying any of that, but still, we are not the only team to fall from the top flight to the brink of oblivion and then recovered through the play offs and now are top flight regulars and doing alright (though we are doing better than most).

If I named my top city momments, dickovs goal and weavers celebrations would be up there.

But do I think a comemerative shirt 20 years later is needed? Not realy no.

Would rather we get designing and concentrating on a 125 years kit on our first Manchester City one for the season after? Yes.

manchester_city_1894-a.gif

Last edited:
Not denying any of that, but still, we are not the only team to fall from the top flight to the brink of oblivion and then recovered through the play offs and now are top flight regulars and doing alright (though we are doing better than most).

If I named my top city momments, dickovs goal and weavers celebrations would be up there.

But do I think a commemorative shirt 20 years later is needed? Not realy no.

Would rather we get designing and concentrating on a 125 years shirt for the season after? Yes.

It's not a commemorative shirt. Just another kit in colours we've worn before to a degree. The colour of the luminous shirt a couple of years ago was chosen because of the link to Wembley 99.

The most important thing is that it would sell huge numbers. Kids love luminous kits and the retro shirt sales of the kit show the demand.

Not sure what some grumpy old men think will take away from the popularity. ;)

Last edited:
It's not a commemorative shirt. Just another kit in colours we've worn before.

If as your original post states it is because of the 20 year aniversary a kit of course it would be seen as a comemerative one.

I am not arguing the shirt isn't iconic, but it was still a shit kit and bar the play off win would have beem forgotten as another dire kit of the time, it has took nike this long to get our proper away kit colour of maroon produced, I don't want that colour replaced again with, what would be a pale imitation of the play off one

As you say the retro kit is popular, better to push that imho.

Ha! I think the main difference is we’ve worn navy socks for 80 years and a luminous yellow and black stripe away kit for one!

I’m not saying we should wear navy to commorate the 86 youth cup win. I’m just saying a lot of people have fond memories of the crop of youth players from the late 80s who were all City fans who won the youth cup then went on to beat the Shite 5-1. Possibly before your time? ;-)

Only ever been shit in those socks.

Relegated in them more than any other combination!

Who wants to be reminded?!

(Lol)

Need to move forward - prefer us in maroon or a white kit with blue or maroon accents away from home. Red and black stripes always sounds good in theory but the recent interpretations by Umbro and Reebok have been awful - remember the Spider-Man kit - Jesus. The play-off kit was horrible - reminds me of pre season at Preston and away trips to Colchester and Wrexham - I really don’t need reminding.

Last edited:
Only ever been shit in those socks.

Relegated in them more than any other combination!

Who wants to be reminded?!

(Lol)

First team from Manchester to win a major trophy when we won the FA Cup, and we were wearing navy blue socks..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.