Nicolas Otamendi - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only positive was he was one of the only defenders which burst into the opposition when spaces were made, not going sideways/backwards and creating a chain of events which has them on the back foot. The defence were too negative and put themselves under pressure. It would help if they just stay on their feet at all times.

Great gif of Otta sliding in for another last ditch tackle

635748386361289886-1051367358_MoQJEqi.gif

In my opinion Dunne was a much under-rated player and was a better defender than Otamendi has shown himself to be.

Re. Ottamendi I think that he is far better than he has shown - he was voted the best defender in Spain (iirc) just before we bought him. He needs to start showing it soon though as I think on current form he will be sold off in the Summer.

It is crazy how much we have spent on central defenders and (arguably) our best option is Kolarov!

Ppeople always say this but its really a fallacy that talking head trot out.

You can read a game in tight areas with most defensive players around you in good positions. Then there are other times (the majpurity I'd say) when reading has nothing to do with it.

Take Monaco's 3rd for example (some have blamed Otamendi's positioning. Even argued we conceded coz he left too much space btw him and Stones. This makes no sense as its a break away with 2 attackers Stons tracks one and Ota tries to stay btw the attacker on the ball and the free man. That's actually good positioning. Those that argue he should have been closer to Stones are insane. He goes any closer to Stones and a simple pass to Mbappe see him wide open against the go

Its hard to explain how lots of these claims are wrong with examples over chat.

And I'm sorry, bit Dunney can shut it. He couldn't clean Ota' s boots at his best and he was an error prone agricultural CB. Cult hero he maybe. But he sure was not a good CB.

You really just don't seem to 'get' defending, either that or you are on a wind up. It's not about whether he's closer or further away, it's about whether he notices that someone might be about to score if he doesn't do something sharpish. Gareth Barry used to do it without any fuss. Just stroll into position & collect the ball. Otamendi doesn't know where it's going, until a split second before it gets there, when he then tries to head it, launch himself at it, kick the opponent over, or just jog back in despair.

Standing about & watching the ball sail over your head, is not how it's done. You can say it is, but you are then assumng everyone else has no idea about how it works & plenty of people actually do.

Stevie Wonder reads the game better than him and Steven Hawking spends less time on his arse too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.