Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't have an issue with you missing Danillo in realtime. Just saying sometime there is more to football than your elementary last second freeze frame 'last man seen - you are it,' declaration.

Again, in your fervent misstatement of the argument here, you are doing exactly what' you've accused me of-pretending I have not concluded Otamendi had a bad game. I did. So its impossible to pretend the "bearded one" is a hero. The moment he mis-kicked a simple clearance and got himself a yellow card a few seconds later diving in, he became a dud the rest of the game. Often backing off defensively and given Salah every opportunity to pick the right choice- we were simply lucky Salah didn't.

this however shouldn't be confused with explaining the rightness of his general positioning in specific instances. Somehow this nuance seems to befuddle you. For the life of me I don't know why.

Good man :)

In fairness, thought he had a nondescript game against Feyernord. Didn't seem to have much to do. But in truth, I only watched that game once as Fox sports app don't have replays like NBC sports does.

So o can get quite granular with our league games in a manner I can't with CL games. But my overall impression was that he and Stones were only minimally bothered.

I wasn't referring to your comment re Otamendi in that instance, I was referring to your ridiculous idea that him dropping off when everyone else isn't doing so, is some kind of a 'plan'.

Is it fuck.

And yes he did have it easy v Feyenoord but he played with confidence as opposed to the blind panic of last weekend, so fair play to him.

I wasn't referring to your comment re Otamendi in that instance, I was referring to your ridiculous idea that him dropping off when everyone else isn't doing so, is some kind of a 'plan'.

Is it fuck.

And yes he did have it easy v Feyenoord but he played with confidence as opposed to the blind panic of last weekend, so fair play to him.
It actually is. Funny enough, you have previously referenced this yourself in re Kompany, and how he 'covers' Otamendi well when Otamendi goes charging at the ball...

How did you suppose Kompany achieved that? By stepping up into an imaginary offside line 5 yards from.the center circle? I think not Sir!

It actually is. Funny enough, you have previously referenced this yourself in re Kompany, and how he 'covers' Otamendi well when Otamendi goes charging at the ball...

How did you suppose Kompany achieved that? By stepping up into an imaginary offside line 5 yards from.the center circle? I think not Sir!

No, it's a 'decision' not a plan. Otamendi keeps getting that & many other decisions, wrong. Two years in, still.

You don't 'plan' for someone to drop back several yards behind everyone else, you hope that the players involved can make the call based on such things as the flight of the ball & the position of their team mates, opposition, etc. Sometimes you have to do the opposite of the preferred idea, because things have gone wrong.

You can't expect a player to get it perfect, but you expect a player in the heart of Manchester City's defence, to get that & other decisions right, most of the time, even when things go pear shaped. Otamendi has made more shit decisions than anyone I can remember. Half of them, tv doesn't even see, just the head shaking people sat in line with him.

This is the same thing, as deciding not charging toward Diego Costa at the halfway line, taking yourself out of the game & leaving someone like Kolarov as the only possible cover is a better option. (Or not doing the same v Bournemouth's no mark Championship standard cf this season). Or not clotheslining Gabriel Jesus in a World Cup qualifier because he flicks the ball over your head after already being let off on a red card offence & risking your team being down to ten men, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Even on a good day, he usually drops one or two. V Liverpool, it was most of the time.

The fact they didn't score or it doesn't show in stats, is irrelevant. It's not fucking good enough & he needs to up his game consistently for our sake & his.

This isn't about me picking up on every mistake Otamendi makes, it's about biting my lip on numerous occasions every single game, not wishing to point them all out, but eventually cracking, because there are far too many.

No, it's a 'decision' not a plan. Otamendi keeps getting that & many other decisions, wrong. Two years in, still.

You don't 'plan' for someone to drop back several yards behind everyone else, you hope that the players involved can make the call based on such things as the flight of the ball & the position of their team mates, opposition, etc. Sometimes you have to do the opposite of the preferred idea, because things have gone wrong.

You can't expect a player to get it perfect, but you expect a player in the heart of Manchester City's defence, to get that & other decisions right, most of the time, even when things go pear shaped. Otamendi has made more shit decisions than anyone I can remember. Half of them, tv doesn't even see, just the head shaking people sat in line with him.

This is the same thing, as deciding not charging toward Diego Costa at the halfway line, taking yourself out of the game & leaving someone like Kolarov as the only possible cover is a better option. (Or not doing the same v Bournemouth's no mark Championship standard cf this season). Or not clotheslining Gabriel Jesus in a World Cup qualifier because he flicks the ball over your head after already being let off on a red card offence & risking your team being down to ten men, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Even on a good day, he usually drops one or two. V Liverpool, it was most of the time.

The fact they didn't score or it doesn't show in stats, is irrelevant. It's not fucking good enough & he needs to up his game consistently for our sake & his.

This isn't about me picking up on every mistake Otamendi makes, it's about biting my lip on numerous occasions every single game, not wishing to point them all out, but eventually cracking, because there are far too many.
Please don't bite your tongue. As it might turn out you are wrong about your understanding of what's happening. So spill the beans every time you see him making what you consider a mistake. :)

Salah toasting him has brought back terrible memories. Its trauma.Salah could of easily scored twice. We had a little bit of luck.

Call it starting to even out from last year. It's nice to catch a few breaks in the bigger games, if you want to call it luck in this particular match.

Half of them, tv doesn't even see, just the head shaking people sat in line with him

Don't get often very often anymore, my last game was Monaco and I have to say I was horrified by what I saw from Otamendi that night, sitting right in line with him in the second half, his reading of the game and his anticipation of runners was nowhere to be seen, it was if his head was in the clouds half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.