Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of his yes as he is a defender who will actually tackle. I have agreed he had a bad game, but he is not perceived disaster waiting to happen as some like to portray.

Will you be also back when Stones has another brain fart and passes the ball to the opponent too?

Have always supported Stones. He is very young and will be inconsistent. Stones performance on Wednesday was already better than Nico's best performance for us.

I don't accept inconsistency from Otamendi because he is almost 30, not 23 like Stones.

It's an interesting one. The Otamendi vs Salah one I mean. It was not hard to see where the danger came from. In fact, and this is where I am going, when the teamsheet came out the first thing I said was that if Mendy would play a high line it could expose Otamendi due to Salah his pace and the fact that Otamendi needs to defend him from a leftside position as a non left footer. Look at the foul he made on Salah just outside the penalty area and you know exactly what I mean.
Now is this Otamendi's fault? Yes, we can all agree he has his limitations as a defender and he also has the talents in his play that made him the defender he is, including a starter in the Argentine national team. But the Liverpool game imho is another discussion and leads back to Pep making a tactical error or Mendy not doing what he was told. I know one thing and that is you don't need to be a football expert to know on forehand Otamendi would be in trouble facing Salah in a one on one with loads of pace behind his back. It happened and it should not have happened. Blaming Otamendi? I'd say if that would have been Stones, Mangala or Komapny in that exact same situation the outcome would have been the same.

It's not the first time mate. Has happened countless times last season. Can't recall Stones or Kompany being toasted like that last season.

Otamendi is being targeted and if he was on the right side, there wouldn't too be much of change.

He is the weakest link in our team and it's quite clear to almost everyone except a few posters in this thread.

Last year Clichy was the number one target and it cost us, now he is playing in Turkey.

This year the number one target is Nico. Otamendi will be gone next summer if we get an offer. I can tell you one thing he won't be a starter for an elite club, that's for sure.

Maybe Otamendi has gone on strike in protest at always topping the stats for tackles interceptions headers and such like
Hes thinking somebody else should put a foot in now and then

Since I took up the sport in 2010/2011 I've gone through Lescott, Kolo, Nastasic, Savic, Demichelis, Mangala, Stones, and Otamendi.

We're coming up on nearly a decade here for me and he's easily the best of the bunch for me. Did all these other CB's take the heat that Otamendi takes on here over the years? Reading these posts you'd think he's the worst we've had since the takeover.

Since I took up the sport in 2010/2011 I've gone through Lescott, Kolo, Nastasic, Savic, Demichelis, Mangala, Stones, and Otamendi.

We're coming up on nearly a decade here for me and he's easily the best of the bunch for me. Did all these other CB's take the heat that Otamendi takes on here over the years? Reading these posts you'd think he's the worst we've had since the takeover.

They most definitely did, worse in some cases.

From that list, Kolo, Demichelis and probably Lescott were all far better centre backs than Otamendi in their prime ( which Otamendi is in now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.