One for the interweb techies

Plugged the ethernet cable in from router, no real difference so far. Will play around with it tomorrow.
It’s unlikely the Wi-Fi and the Ethernet cards are both fucked, imo.

It’s most probably a software or OS issue, or even malware - especially if all other devices connect to your router and work fine.

How are you measuring speed/performance?

Having problems with our interweb, been on to Sky and they've tested everything and even sent us out a new router to see if that's the problem...this has happened twice in the past few years. Now.....apart from my main PC all the other laptops, printers, phones, Tv ( Netflix, Amazon etc etc ) all work. The problem is intermittant, highly annoying and I'm convinced it's the main PC, forgive my lack of understanding and the correct use of terminology but by a process of the above elimination, I think the problem is the internet reciever ( ?? )in the main PC. Do I scrap it, it's a fair old age and get a new one or....pay some oik a shite load of money at PC world to fix it, leaving me with a still old PC and the problem possibly likely to reappear. Answers on a postcard blah blah blah
Connect PC via ethernet

Ask one of those extra terrestrials that the yanks are on about.

Plugged the ethernet cable in from router, no real difference so far. Will play around with it tomorrow.
It's a slightly (actually, very) confusing thread but are you saying that you're losing internet connection when browsing the internet using your browser? And this is happening via both WiFi and a wired connection?

That would suggest a router or general broadband issue rather than the PC.

BTW if you do get a new WiFi dongle (I'm not convinced you need one yet) then either get something like the following or at least put a small dongle on a short extension lead to move it away from the box, it'll make all the difference.

It's a slightly (actually, very) confusing thread but are you saying that you're losing internet connection when browsing the internet using your browser? And this is happening via both WiFi and a wired connection?

That would suggest a router or general broadband issue rather than the PC.

BTW if you do get a new WiFi dongle (I'm not convinced you need one yet) then either get something like the following or at least put a small dongle on a short extension lead to move it away from the box, it'll make all the difference.

Initially I and sky thought that but its only the main PC that keeps 'dropping '...everything else works...printer, other lap tops, TV,phones, tablets etc are all OK.

If the computer is old and you're using wifi its likely to be using the 2.45GHz band which is very prone to interference. Few options either :

1. Try changing the frequency of the 2.45GHz WiFi channel on the router which you can do in the admin page which should be accessable by typing in the address of the router into the internet browser. Normally its 192.168.0.1 by default.

2. Buy a 5Ghz wifi dongle.

3. Go for a wired connection. If the router isnt in the same room buy a couple of ethernet over power plugs, which assuming you are on the same electrical wiring ring within the house should work well. Unless you want the really fast ones you can pick them up cheap on ebay.
I live in Spain and have Fibre to my house.
I don't have computer so just use either my phone or TV connected lan to my Firestick 4K (thanks Guy) to check download speeds.
I find I get 100 on my 2.4 supply and 300 on my 5 Hz supply. I normally use the 5 because that is what I pay for. Sometimes I find it has changed from 5 to 2.4 so I change it back by simply switching off router then switching back on. The Fibre installer gave me that tip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.