One for the interweb techies

I'm going to give until sunday and if it's come round to my way of thinking then I'm going full John Cleese on it then off to a spotty faced bearded youf at the PC World tech dept. Having said that, she is behaving herself with this ethernet cable !!!
Do you have any antivirus installed ? This can often cause issues by blocking certain IP addresses and ports. Assume you have tried temporarily shutting the anti virus down ?

I live in Spain and have Fibre to my house.
I don't have computer so just use either my phone or TV connected lan to my Firestick 4K (thanks Guy) to check download speeds.
I find I get 100 on my 2.4 supply and 300 on my 5 Hz supply. I normally use the 5 because that is what I pay for. Sometimes I find it has changed from 5 to 2.4 so I change it back by simply switching off router then switching back on. The Fibre installer gave me that tip.
The trouble is most routers that are provided by internet suppliers are junk.

I'm going to give until sunday and if it's come round to my way of thinking then I'm going full John Cleese on it then off to a spotty faced bearded youf at the PC World tech dept. Having said that, she is behaving herself with this ethernet cable !!!
It didn't make sense that both WiFi and the ethernet cable would give the same problem, I suspect you'll be fine now.

Do you have external aerials for the WiFi?

If you do need to use WiFi and yours is goosed then one of the previously mentioned solutions should be fine as they just plug into a USB port.

Edit: DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR ANTI-VIRUS.

Which would you recomend for a Fibre to the home setup.
Just 2 mobiles wireless the firestick 4k and android box are LAN connections.
If the existing one works then I can't see any point in "upgrading". It's not true that most ISP supplied routers are rubbish, it's entirely dependant on your particular circumstances.

Have you tried disabling the 2.4Ghz frequency if nothing relies on it? This is presuming your router allows that.

If the existing one works then I can't see any point in "upgrading". It's not true that most ISP supplied routers are rubbish, it's entirely dependant on your particular circumstances.

Have you tried disabling the 2.4Ghz frequency if nothing relies on it? This is presuming your router allows that.
Without sounding like I want to start an argument, the RF modules inside the vast majority of ISP routers are garbage. Most run at the maximum gain and have poor thermal dissipation. In addition the antenna design is poorly optimised as they go for aesthetics over performance. It’s for these reasons why the coverage and data rates are poor with ISP provided routers.

The chipsets vary as well, some of the better ones provided by ISPs use Broadcom which are based on a licensed ARM architecture, however a number use cheap Chinese designed chips.

Having an ultrafast broadband connection and using a cheap router is like having a Porsche and fitting it with the cheapest tyres you can find, it will work but you won’t get the performance you expect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.