Pablo Maffeo

The startof the season is all about assessing the first team, who's got what Pep wants and who doesn't. Once the season gets into a flow the academy talents will be able to find niches. Angelino is close to breaking in to the squad all down the left flank.

Looked solid against Steaua. He's very good with the ball but I dont think he's ready for the PL yet and he'll need this year to learn and bulk up a bit I feel. I can see him being our first choice right back next season.

Needs to grow, fill out, and not get bullied. Seems to have the feet for the job, but at the top level its whether he has the physique and the head for it. As a full back in this line up, he not only has to play against the opposite winger, but he has to be a right midfielder going forward and big and strong enough to challenge the opposing centre forward at the back post. When you watch people like Zlatan pull off their centre half onto the back post, it is hard to see Maffeo being able to do anything with that. Fair do's though, as Zaba and Clichy have also struggled with that over the years.

With a little maturation and time in the weight room, he MIGHT save us £20M. Same with Angelino, who is a step ahead of him at this point. Tosin is ahead of both of them, though.

It's quite annoying seeing everyone latch onto 1 incident of him getting bumped off the ball and saying he's weak physically. He just got the timing wrong with his attempt to knock the Steaua player off the ball. He's incredibly strong for his size, like Sterling, and people will see that when he plays more.

The actual mistake he made was getting caught a bit out of position, and he was always struggling to catch up with the winger. Anyone who's played knows that you go for that last ditch shoulder barge when you know you're getting done for pace.

Last edited:
It's quite annoying seeing everyone latch onto 1 incident of him getting bumped off the ball and saying he's weak physically. He just got the timing wrong with his attempt to knock the Steaua player off the ball. He's incredibly strong for his size, like Sterling, and people will see that when he plays more.

The actual mistake he made was getting caught a bit out of position, and he was always struggling to catch up with the winger. Anyone who's played knows that you go for that last ditch shoulder barge when you know you're getting done for pace.

This. He's a strong little fella, and thankfully Pep knows this. Was bad timing, which is understandable on his professional debut.

I thought he looked decent last night. The two most encouraging aspect of his game - and this goes for Angelino too - is that he's not only nippy and agile off the ball, but he seems to be very comfortable slotting into midfield and playing the ball around. He got pushed off the ball once or twice but so do lots of players. He might come good, he might end up in League 1 - only time and chances will tell.

I think he will get a few games this year and be included in match day squads and then next year become second choice right back, the same with Angelino. Tosin will also become a feature of match day squads although his game time may be more limited. He obviously needs to bulk up and fill out although i believe he and John Stones in two or three years will be our first choice pairing

Looked decent yesterday. His passing was very conservative but I think that's just because he's young and Stones next to him was commonly playing the ball out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.