PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I'm certain that the panel won't be taking any potential geopolitical consequences into account and I wouldn't want them to either. We are either innocent of the charges after due consideration or we aren't. Why should we get away with something on the basis that our owner wouldn't invest billions in Sizewell if we were punished for example? We as a support base would be outraged if that was the case with a rival club so you have to be consistent.

Obviously I want us to be cleared and for this to finally go away but not on the basis of threats or undue financial pressure. I also think that people are over estimating the influence our owner could bring to bear on the UK government. Yes Abu Dhabi invests in UK projects but the country wouldn't collapse if it didn't.
This World you inhabit........

I get where you are coming from but many things are linked the PL is a massive earner for this country, and seeing it successful is a political and economic priority, that thee is a battle over regulation going on between the government and the PL there can be no doubt
I think that pressure will be put on the government to get the regulator in place before the kangaroo court sits and replace the Premier Leagues disciplinary regime with that of the regulator. This would involve agreeing a sanctions policy with the Premier League clubs but implemented and enforced by the regulatory body.

Seeing khaldoon talking about the investment into the UK etc and Hunt saying how vital it is etc then no way we get done for anything imo now.
I’d have to agree, it’s monumentally stupid what the premier league have done under pressure. They really are an embarrassing organisation… I’d imagine Khaldoon sleeps very peacefully at night.

I can see your point, and agree that it's daft to suggest we're all apologists for the UAE, but it's surely easier to make the link where the people clearly support just one team, and that team is owned by an entity linked to a state. Sports where the occasional event is held in a state, or where people are "fans" of individuals etc. are very different.

In other sports it's often the players who are the ones getting grief. The LIV golfers certainly got a shitstorm raining down on them (albeit things have got more complex since), and the players who went to Saudi faced plenty of criticism. Bein and Qatar have also been linked to sportswashing repeatedly in the media, but there isn't really a Bein fanbase to attack.

The other key difference in being fans of a team, rather than individuals, a sport, or a TV station, is of course that you have more obvious rivals. Rivalry between supporters is almost entirely based on hypocrisy. Their players are shit, our are great. They get all the decisions, we get hard done to. Their owners are worse than ours.
There's just been the F1 Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi. Did you hear the word 'sportswashing' mentioned at any point over the weekend in relation to that?

for people that say we are cheating, it isnt cheating. Cheating would be establishing yourself as a top club then banning other clubs from getting investment to compete while you continue to buy all the best players from anyone else (smaller clubs who need money) giving them no chance of ever catching you.
This is like if a chess player got an extra piece for the next game whenever they won a tournament. And in the case of (man united) one of the chess players got insane media coverage like they are the second coming of Christ. Then when another player came along with another method of getting pieces they quickly came up with some new rules to stop this new player from competing with the established "best".
And moreover, when this new player showed that it wasnt the second coming of Christ that had made the media favourite (man united) so good, it was actually all the extra pieces, they all cried CHEAT ! CHEAT!

Most people are really just parroting each others thoughts with out actually thinking about how modern football works.

There's just been the F1 Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi. Did you hear the word 'sportswashing' mentioned at any point over the weekend in relation to that?
I didn't watch it :)

But as someone who isn't a fan of F1 I've heard plenty of stuff about sportswashing. You can google f1 and sportswashing and plenty of stuff comes up. Not very scientific, but if I google Man City and Sportswashing, I get less results.

I watch every Man City match I can't attend in person, and it almost never comes up in the commentary there. Even in the Guardian, for every article that mentions sportswashing, there are hundreds that talk about football.

ps. I'm not saying that City don't get a lot of grief - just that it's often from Liverpool or United fans in the media, or online, whereas there aren't really people who are fans of the British Grand Prix and see the Abu Dhabi one as their sporting rival, so it's going to be more visible in football.

Exactly...if they pulled out of horse racing in this country and that includes sponsorship for our biggest races,100s of people would lose jobs and Newmarket would be in trouble along with the rest of racing...not a peep out of the usual suspects about horse washing...set of twats...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.