Post Match Thread: Barca vs City

Tony Adcock said:
They are simply a better team than us....

We have a long way to go to be competing with the likes of these, Madrid teams and Bayern.
We're barely competing with the likes of cska/roma lol. Had we gotten Monaco we would've gone out too.

citymad said:
malg said:
buckshot said:
The sad fact is that City have never hit their stride this season. Moral victories and a few individual performances don't make up for the fact that, with the money that's been spend, City need to be much closer to moving forward in the CL.
That's a fair summation.

A top manager would've probably had this team plating to its potential.

And fitter, most near or a stone overweight

Having had time to think, I think obviously the better team won but the one glaring thing from me last night that sticks out like a sore thumb is just how inept we are sometimes at doing the absolute basics. Barcelona were confident, savvy and always had the willpower and belief that their way of playing was going to win them the game somehow. They also did everything right, they didn't play that possession style but attacked with pace and it was unreal to watch, our defence just could not cope with the movement. The biggest thing for me though was just how easy we gave them their chances.

The little time we did have on the ball contained flimsy passes and failures to even do basics like controlling the ball. We had so many throw ins for example and just threw them to them and gifted them possession, what is that all about? It's like our complete inability to take a corner?? It does not make sense. We looked like a schoolboy team that was playing a top European side, scared stiff of the ball, scared of the opposition and scared to do anything when we did have it. It is the only thing that can explain the total lack of movement and you could see the visible frustration from Silva and Aguero who were completely taken out of the game because we just could not settle ourselves. I think our attacking line is decent enough but the rest of the team is nowhere near a team like Barcelona nor anyone else at this level. We all say Kompany and the like are world class but they aren't, Pique had the easiest game of his career yet Kompany was just all over the place. Both him and Demichelis were completely out of their depth playing against that front 3, most would be but their performance was the difference between progressing and not progressing at this level.

Personally, I think we have been shown up and the Premier League this year has been shown up to be exceptionally weak. We say our league is the best in the world, yes it is the most exciting and the most competitive but right now in terms of quality it does not even contain any of the top 10 teams in the world let alone a top 1. Had it not been for Joe it could of been a cricket score, we needed 11 performances like that to get anything but having to make our goalkeeper man of the match because he was the difference between a bad night and a catastrophic one probably just about sums it up..

Change is needed and not an evolutionary change but a revolutionary change.

we are simply a mile off the level of barca,real,bayern there is no getting away from it

we were damn lucky not to concede 6 or 7, messi was simply sensational

i'm sorry yaya, thanks for the memories and all but you now offer nothing in a defensive capacity at all and as such are now a liability to the team whatever the system.

4-5-1 may have been the right tactic but the players still have to put a shift in within the system

joe proved his worth with a wonder performance

will be an interesting few months of squad rebuilding meetings i'm sure

i think we played OK last night, against outstanding opponents who would win our league by 20 points clear. Reflect on that: the side we just got beaten by, are better than anything we face in England, by a country mile.

They bossed the game for sure and obviously they are much, much better than us. But we had 15 goal attempts including a missed penalty, and we lost onky 1-0. It was not that bad! We weren't composed and settled on the ball because they hunted in packs and gave us no time nor space to settle. Their workrate off the ball was as impressive as what they did when they had it.

Barca were simply incredible, but look at their line up. How many of our players woukd get into their side? When in form, Kompany. That's probably it. On present form, possibly no-one would.

tonea2003 said:
we are simply a mile off the level of barca,real,bayern there is no getting away from it

we were damn lucky not to concede 6 or 7, messi was simply sensational

i'm sorry yaya, thanks for the memories and all but you now offer nothing in a defensive capacity at all and as such are now a liability to the team whatever the system.

4-5-1 may have been the right tactic but the players still have to put a shift in within the system

joe proved his worth with a wonder performance

will be an interesting few months of squad rebuilding meetings i'm sure

I completely agree with what you say. We can't blame Pellegrini for what happened last night - he put the best lineup out and used an intelligent formation. Possibly only Zabaleta for Sagna but then you have two full backs who lack pace and like to get forward.

It's the hard work and graft that was missing. Messi was dominant all over the pitch and he played better than ever last night. He was so good. We are two full backs, a central midfielder a defensive midfielder and possibly two wide players off being at their level. This summer we have to close that gap.

I don't agree with some, that the way to winning this shite is get luckier draws, or the fact our players aren't good enough, it's the style of play, Bayern are not outstanding individuals but tore barca apart.
Team ethic, working as a unit and playing to your strengths is something we haven't done for a while.

I find it hard to believe that Sagna was saved for Barca and Chelsea and demichelles was thought to be first choice, we haven't found a defence pairing of quality, or a midfield pair or a forward to work with Sergio.

We interchange our full backs and center halves like I've never seen before, a unit we are not.

Please with the effort from the boys ( except the money grabbing whore ) . Fernandinho did the work of two men outstandingly. Vinny picked up after a shaky start. Single best performance by a goalkeeper I have seen in years...take a bow Joe. Thought Silva did his job quite well considering he was picked up by two all night, tracked back when needed. They are simply too good especially when we played with ten men. Like I said yesterday we'd of been better off playing Fernando then Yaya. Jimmy worked his socks off and MDM did fair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.