Queues outside M1 turnstiles and over the top security

We’ve been at the City of Manchester Stadium/Etihad stadium for 20 years in July. In that time millions of fans have passed through the turnstiles for football matches and concerts. There have been millions of security checks. Thankfully there hasn’t been a terrorist incident outside or inside the ground. That isn’t down to stewards randomly asking the odd supporter to unzip their coats or to take off their hat. As I keep on pointing out, there are much easier targets in the city centre and outside the ground long before a suicide bomber gets to the point in the queue where a steward might randomly ask him or her to unzip their coat or to take their hat off.
You are never going to get this are you

If I was going today then I’d get in early and relax with a pint watching the 3pm results come in.

With the wands, they’d use them at a nightclub I went to as a younger man and one picked up a portable radio I had in my coat pocket.

Is it me or are the queues at the M1 turnstiles (for South Stand top tier) getting worse?

It’s always been bad here as the huge number of fans on the top tier have to be funnelled through a handful of turnstiles but it seems to have got even worse recently. Partly I think this is down to over officious stewarding - the showsec goons now seem to want to pat everyone down and I’ve been asked to show if I’ve got anything under my hat, anything hidden under my coat etc. It’s ridiculous and is becoming like going through airport security. Even when the games already kicked off and there’s still a huge number of fans waiting there seems to be no urgency.

Now of course, you could say why not get at the ground earlier? We’ll apart from the fact that with kids in tow, finishing work etc - that’s not always possible. But equally, there’s very little incentive to get there earlier. The concourse and facilities can’t cope with the number of fans and it can take 30+ minutes to get a brew or a pint even when you get there in good time.

So what’s the answer? I don’t know. But surely more turnstiles, more staff and more pragmatic security would be a good start.
I’ve been saying it all season! We need more turnstiles. There’s nowhere near enough for the amount of people. The club need to do something but can’t see it. And some shelves inside would be great to put your beer/pie on!!

It's pissing down and you can't park near the stadium yet full size brollies can't be taken in.
But we aren't allowed to suggest we might get wet.

Arrived 40 minutes before in the pouring rain at M1 and a grand total of 4 stewards were on wanding duty for a tier that sits 6000 (before away allocation deducted).

Match day experience my fucking arse.

I heard the wand beeping when I got wanded. That wand worked.

Last edited:
Arrived 40 minutes before in the pouring rain at M1 and a grand total of 4 stewards were on wanding duty for a tier that sits 6000 (before away allocation deducted).

Match day experience my fucking arse.

Imagine what NSL2 will be like, an 8000 capacity tier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.