R. I. P. The 39

I know not you but I would bet my family home that you can see what I mean with regards to some on here reacting as they have because of hatred and the JFT96 campaign.
Don't worry, your family home is safe. Of course I accept that some people will allow their hatred of other clubs to cloud their vision in relation to anything associated with a rival. It's an unedifying spectacle when the subject matter includes the deaths of innocents. Even now, there are some who attach blame to the supporters at Hillsborough, which demonstrates that some people will only believe what they want to believe.

For me, the issue isn't so much about justice, because I think that has pretty much been served in relation to Heysel, in all the circumstances, unlike Hillsborough where it hasn't even scratched the surface. From my perspective it's about Liverpool Football Club as a institution dealing with this subject matter in a more honest, open, forthright and proportionate fashion as well as apologising for statements previously made by people closely associated with the club in an attempt to deflect blame elsewhere. For me, a simple statement would suffice. An acknowledgement of a wrong and an unequivocal apology. I think then, reasonable minded 'neutrals' would be able to draw a line under it and move on. To others, such a statement clearly won't be enough, for the reasons set out earlier in my post, but there's nothing that could be said or done to placate some people, such is the extent of their hostility to Liverpool as a city, which is very regrettable.

_82911808_ian_hambridge_plaque_bcfc.jpg

Not sure if there was ever an enquiry or prosecution, but this is how Birmingham remembered the Leeds fan who died at St Andrews on the same day as the Bradford fire.
Apparently, it was his first ever football game.

Don't worry, your family home is safe. Of course I accept that some people will allow their hatred of other clubs to cloud their vision in relation to anything associated with a rival. It's an unedifying spectacle when the subject matter includes the deaths of innocents. Even now, there are some who attach blame to the supporters at Hillsborough, which demonstrates that some people will only believe what they want to believe.

For me, the issue isn't so much about justice, because I think that has pretty much been served in relation to Heysel, in all the circumstances, unlike Hillsborough where it hasn't even scratched the surface. From my perspective it's about Liverpool Football Club as a institution dealing with this subject matter in a more honest, open, forthright and proportionate fashion as well as apologising for statements previously made by people closely associated with the club in an attempt to deflect blame elsewhere. For me, a simple statement would suffice. An acknowledgement of a wrong and an unequivocal apology. I think then, reasonable minded 'neutrals' would be able to draw a line under it and move on. To others, such a statement clearly won't be enough, for the reasons set out earlier in my post, but there's nothing that could be said or done to placate some people, such is the extent of their hostility to Liverpool as a city, which is very regrettable.
Completely agree. My point exactly.

14 Liverpool fans were convicted and went to prison - what justice are people asking for today? Seems a bit of a pointless thread this which would be more suited to ragcafe. Sad point scoring exercise.

Wrongly convicted, those Belgian skinhead Chelsea fans should have been locked up. JFT14.

So if Hillsborough hadn't happened, Heysel wouldn't get brought up as much? That's kind of the point I've been posting throughout the thread.

I actually think it would get brought up much more.

No Hillsboro incident, no terrible reporting blaming the poor victims & no fight for justice. Wow if people wanted to score points against Liverpool they'd have a field day.

good post.

Plenty of Liverpool fans think that an apology was served by holding up a mural saying "Friendship" when they next played Juventus. That perfectly shows that club up for what they are in my opinion.

They knew they needed to extend an olive branch because of their actions, but they still couldn't quite bring themselves to actually say the word "Sorry". I mean how hard would that simple gesture have been?

Liverpool, more than any other club, know the importance of that word, but still didn't want to say it. Which suggests to me that they still blame someone else for it, the spineless cowards.

Plenty of Liverpool fans think that an apology was served by holding up a mural saying "Friendship" when they next played Juventus. That perfectly shows that club up for what they are in my opinion.

They knew they needed to extend an olive branch because of their actions, but they still couldn't quite bring themselves to actually say the word "Sorry". I mean how hard would that simple gesture have been?

Liverpool, more than any other club, know the importance of that word, but still didn't want to say it. Which suggests to me that they still blame someone else for it, the spineless cowards.
This pretty much encapsulates my view on this subject. As you say, Liverpool, of all clubs, should understand the huge value in someone saying "sorry" and truly meaning it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.