Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he made a hash; I think the defender did really well but it was one of those moments where Raz could have borrowed Mario's t-shirt.

We disagree on this. He almost always hesitates in one on one situations and ends up trying to take it round the keeper instead of shooting. He either then gets caught by the chasing defender or takes a heavy touch and careers straight into the keeper. He’s the last player in the City squad I’d want my life to depend upon converting a one on one chance

We disagree on this. He almost always hesitates in one on one situations and ends up trying to take it round the keeper instead of shooting. He either then gets caught by the chasing defender or takes a heavy touch and careers straight into the keeper. He’s the last player in the City squad I’d want my life to depend upon converting a one on one chance

On the flip side he has worked on his game year on year and made measured improvement, if he continues on the upward correlation he will be world class, it's that simple...

On the flip side he has worked on his game year on year and made measured improvement, if he continues on the upward correlation he will be world class, it's that simple...

He has the ability and it’s always noticeable how many problems he causes opponents in the CL. Not convinced he will ever be genuinely world class though

He has the ability and it’s always noticeable how many problems he causes opponents in the CL. Not convinced he will ever be genuinely world class though

It depends what you constitute as world class, imo...

He's been a stand out performer in Europe for 2 years now, his game domestically has developed to where he's now the 4th top scorer in the league (as a genuine winger), and top 5 in the assists charts,.... like I said, he continues on the upward curve and he will be indeed world class...

People need to concentrate on his positives, it's like saying David silva is shit with his head, doesn't score enough etc...

He is better than Sane. Yes, you can tell by Sane's best games that Sane's potential is way higher. But at the present tome, Sterling is just a better football player, period.

That this often goes unrecognized is a bit of a shame.

Potential is a funny word in this context.

I think in many ways Sané and Sterling's development mirror each other, Sané's work on the ball is better, Sterling's work off the ball is better. Sané seems to have a better shot, but Sterling is much better at getting in goalscoring positions; Sané's crossing is better, Sterling's better at cute passes in the box. All they need to do to see what to improve on is look across the dressing room at each other.

Sané has an arrogance about him that makes you think he's definitely going to the top, but Sterling has this dogged determination to just improve constantly despite all the shit that gets thrown at him along the way.

I think Sané is more likely to become a player who single-handedly decides huge games with one moment of world class brilliance, but Sterling might well end up being a consistent 30+ goal a season player who wins you league titles.

The fantastic thing for us City fans is that they're both young, not going anywhere and we get to see them develop under the best coach in the world.

Potential is a funny word in this context.

I think in many ways Sané and Sterling's development mirror each other, Sané's work on the ball is better, Sterling's work off the ball is better. Sané seems to have a better shot, but Sterling is much better at getting in goalscoring positions; Sané's crossing is better, Sterling's better at cute passes in the box. All they need to do to see what to improve on is look across the dressing room at each other.

Sané has an arrogance about him that makes you think he's definitely going to the top, but Sterling has this dogged determination to just improve constantly despite all the shit that gets thrown at him along the way.

I think Sané is more likely to become a player who single-handedly decides huge games with one moment of world class brilliance, but Sterling might well end up being a consistent 30+ goal a season player who wins you league titles.

The fantastic thing for us City fans is that they're both young, not going anywhere and we get to see them develop under the best coach in the world.

Spot on, top post Dom.

I don't think he hesitated last night but he did slow down as part of the move to go round the keeper but he did get round the keeper. There was no heavy touch but the defender nicked the ball.

Maybe he would have been better shooting earlier or passing to Gabby but the latter did appear to be straying offside

It depends what you constitute as world class, imo...

He's been a stand out performer in Europe for 2 years now, his game domestically has developed to where he's now the 4th top scorer in the league (as a genuine winger), and top 5 in the assists charts,.... like I said, he continues on the upward curve and he will be indeed world class...

People need to concentrate on his positives, it's like saying David silva is shit with his head, doesn't score enough etc...

I think your last point is important. His quick thinking to nick the ball in the first place created something out of nothing. His pressing started the move for the second goal and his cross for the first goal was superb.

The lad is still very much on an upward curve.

He is better than Sane. Yes, you can tell by Sane's best games that Sane's potential is way higher. But at the present tome, Sterling is just a better football player, period.

That this often goes unrecognized is a bit of a shame.

Both have huge upside. I'd say Sterling's positional sense is better than Sane - he's developed this habit of being in the right place at the right time. But Sane is cleverer with the ball - more ability to beat opponents one on one. A great combination on the right and left. One of my regrets of this season is that neither was playing in the second half against Wigan (Sterling injured; Sane sacrificed after Delph's red). Pretty sure we'd have unpicked their lock if either/both had been on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.