Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He tries high risk stuff to try and unlock packed defences leading to goals, assists and penalties won when it comes off. He looks like a chump when it doesn't.
Pep would have changed or dumped him by now if the risk wasn't worth the reward.

Yeah, yeah......
What can I say, I spend a lot of time in taxi's. Glaswegian taxi drivers do enjoy a bit of TS. From the shite they tend to talk about once they find out I'm a blue I'd say most of their knowledge of the game in England comes from the various football heavyweights that grace the station.
I'm tempted to start saying I'm not into football tbh :-)

He started out quite badly at Watford but still was the one that wanted to make things happen and his ability to open and run into spaces is phenomenal, he was definitely the most active of our front three, and it's not like Sergio or Jesus were doing bad either. As the game went on, finally his decisions and dribbles were spot on too. Great call from Pep to get the whole 90 mins under his belly.

i think there were a couple times in the match he couldve released thr ball earlier looking for the runner like kev or silva but overall a great performance

Not bad for a player who I've seen people claim is worse than Jordan Ibe, Jadon Sancho and Patrick Roberts.

WTF is this 'cult' about just not liking Stirling including some of our own? Makes no sense at all. For example, He was considered by most to be our MOTM v Everton yet there were those who said not only was he not MOTM (fair enough) but he was awful (bizarre and worrying).

You actually listen to that shite???

As OB1 stated above, the only thing really missing now is his decision making... I've actually treated a few patients like this who have a propensity to cloud judgement through heightened anxiety. He could be, could being the word, a top 5 player in Europe if he learned to play on instinct, he actually accelerates his anxiety with too much time to think.... that said, he's still head and shoulders above the majority who play his position and room to kick on again!

Exactly right. Give him an unexpected half chance and like as not he'll tuck it away sweetly. When he can see the ball coming a mile off, you'll likely end up with an air shot like Saturday or a repeat of when he tripped himself up at home to Burnley last season. I still haven't fully made up my mind about Sterling yet, such is his capacity to delight and frustrate in equal measure. That excellent run and finish away at Swansea last season notwithstanding, he's the last player in the City squad I'd want clean through one on one with my life depending on the outcome, and yet despite the 'ankle' miskicks and so forth he's also a constant menace and was probably our most dangerous player in the Chimps League last season. A real curate's egg. Like you say, if he could 'learn' composure he'd be a world beater

Raz plays with a lot of intelligence and yet his decision making could be a fair bit better; maybe he overthinks things when he has time to do more than just react. Raz of course is on another level to dear old David White.

As a resident armchair psychologist I think this is exactly it. I think we saw the same thing last year with Sergio (thinking instead of just playing/reacting) but things are coming along with him as his confidence is growing as he embraces his new role.

I'm a Sterling fan but I've always wondered if the overthinking/confidence issues could be corrected. He is only 22..

Exactly right. Give him an unexpected half chance and like as not he'll tuck it away sweetly. When he can see the ball coming a mile off, you'll likely end up with an air shot like Saturday or a repeat of when he tripped himself up at home to Burnley last season. I still haven't fully made up my mind about Sterling yet, such is his capacity to delight and frustrate in equal measure. That excellent run and finish away at Swansea last season notwithstanding, he's the last player in the City squad I'd want clean through one on one with my life depending on the outcome, and yet despite the 'ankle' miskicks and so forth he's also a constant menace and was probably our most dangerous player in the Chimps League last season. A real curate's egg. Like you say, if he could 'learn' composure he'd be a world beater

Indeed. A little maturity and composure would go a long way. He seems to constantly snatch at the ball when an opportunity arises, but then can silence you with a little flash of brilliance from out of nowhere. It is abundantly clear what he has in his locker, but he needs to kick on from here to be the player some seem to think he already is.

I think the abuse he gets is ridiculous, but I also think it is fair to criticize specific aspects of his game that are clearly lacking. I think Otamendi can be a brilliant defender at times, but at 53 Idstill have qcrack at him in a foot race! Doesn't mean I think he is shit, or not good enough, just that he has a weakness that can be exploited. Sterling has weaknesses that he also needs to improve. Unlike Ota's lack of pace, I think, and hope, he can knock on and do it under Pep's tutelage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.