Rate this season

1/10.

This isn't a difficult concept. A title challenge is the least what we should expect as an average season which would rate a 5. A treble would constitute a 10.

We didn't challenge for the title so it's below average and we didn't challenge for any trophies so it's not a 4.

I'm amazed that some are saying 7s and 8s. That's madness. It means that not only did we surpass an average season, we were closer to a perfect season than an average one.

Imagine Barca, Real or Bayern fans saying that a trophyless season where they went out of the CL in the Round of 16, we're knocked out of the cup by their local rivals and grabbed third on the last day was a 7 or 8 out of 10 season. It would never happen. Peps right when he talks about a small club mentality here.
You surely have to admit that we have played absolutely brilliant, fast paced 1-2 touch back to front, total football at times this season?

We've seen some poor performances, but the majority of bad results in our games this season have been down to small margins. The odd KDB pass which was cut out or slightly off target; the number of times we've hit the post; unlucky bounces, not to mention poor (questionably bent) officiating. I truly believe we aren't in the FA Cup final because the lino robbed us when he wrongly flagged Sane's cross out of play, and if Sideshow Bob correctly gets his marching orders for stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity by foul play, we could be talking City as PL Champions.

I can see Damacoles argument.

We were not competitive enough, and didn't challenge for any trophies.

Just finishing in the top 4 is a weak mentality and how arsenal have become what they are.

We have no right to a trophy, we have to earn that, but let's not confuse high standards and ambition with arrogance because they are totally different.

A club with our aspirations should be challenging every season for trophies to the very end. Pep and Damacoles are right, it's a small club mentality and needs to change.

It's 4 out 10 for me

The thing is though, 5 is average. Par for course. Not eventful either way.

I can't accept that a season 15 points off the title where we never even challenged at any point is a par season. I certainly don't think our board will see it that way
Maybe seeing Kompany return and finding out Sergio is staying has put me in a good mood. I'll drop it to a 3 if they sell him though! Haha!

Are we going on any end of season tours? Past few years when there hasn't been a major tournament we have played some friendliest abroad if I remember right. Just seen the dippers are off to oz, hope we aren't doing anything. Players need a good rest now.

You surely have to admit that we have played absolutely brilliant, fast paced 1-2 touch back to front, total football at times this season?

We've seen some poor performances, but the majority of bad results in our games this season have been down to small margins. The odd KDB pass which was cut out or slightly off target; the number of times we've hit the post; unlucky bounces, not to mention poor (questionably bent) officiating. I truly believe we aren't in the FA Cup final because the lino robbed us when he wrongly flagged Sane's cross out of play, and if Sideshow Bob correctly gets his marching orders for stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity by foul play, we could be talking City as PL Champions.

Of course we played well at times, and every team in the country has the same ifs and buts. Referee blaming is a bit of a con, if your entire game swung on a single chance then especially if you're a team who attacks like City, then you probably don't deserve to win the game anyway.

But ultimately football is about results and you're judged upon them. Results weren't good enough.

I don't get the scoring system of some people, surely the age, depth, quality of the squad and the fact that there's a manager trying to impose a new style of play (which will take time) will all tie into the expectation levels... also how can expectation levels be the same every season like it's some constant measure? It's not, it's ever changing for us at the moment(next season mine will be different to what they were at the start of this season for instance), we're not at Barca's level yet or Bayern's so we shouldn't pretend we are. Otherwise if we are expected to win the league and do so, then it's 5/10 because that should be the average season for us. Madness. Personally I'm disappointed we didn't challenge but are there signs of improvement in our play and are we on the right path? I think so yes. A top 4 finish in this league surely gets a manager at least 5/10, think otherwise? Look at Chelsea and Arsenal and their squads... is it as easy as some are making out here? Is it heck.

If he won the league with us this season it would be 9/10 or 10/10(how much can you fairly expect if you know anything about our current squad situation), those expecting a treble were taking the piss.

Last edited:
Of course we played well at times, and every team in the country has the same ifs and buts. Referee blaming is a bit of a con, if your entire game swung on a single chance then especially if you're a team who attacks like City, then you probably don't deserve to win the game anyway.

But ultimately football is about results and you're judged upon them. Results weren't good enough.

You think the Chelsea game was refereed fairly?

From the first to the last that game was a stitch up.

Well as my expectations were so high at the begining of the season it was disapointing to only get confirmation of 3rd place on the last game of the season .Big disapointment fielding a very weak team to see us dumped out of league cup .not beating Arsenal in the Semi Final .hardly giving our academy players a sniff .if we wont play them when 5-0 up when are we going to play them ? Hopefully we will be more consistent next season

I don't get the scoring system of some people, surely the age, depth, quality of the squad and the fact that there's a manager trying to impose a new style of play (which will take time) will all tie into the expectation levels... also how can expectation levels be the same every season like it's some constant measure? It's not, it's ever changing, we're not at Barca's level yet or Bayern's so we shouldn't pretend we are. Otherwise if we are expected to win the league and do so, then it's 5/10 because that should be the average season for us. Madness.

If he won the league this season it would be 9/10 or 10/10(how much can you fairly expect if you know anything about our current squad situation), those expecting a treble were taking the piss.

The club's expectations don't change season by season. Every year we invest several hundred million into our first team and every year we expect a return on that of a title challenge. Let's be frank - this squad was good enough to win the league and it didn't.

Every year in August we expect to challenge for the title and every May if we don't, we shouldn't start making those excuses for failure

The thing is though, 5 is average. Par for course. Not eventful either way.

I can't accept that a season 15 points off the title where we never even challenged at any point is a par season. I certainly don't think our board will see it that way

What on earth are you talking about? We spent 75 days at the top of the league, only Chelsea spent longer.

3/10 you've given based on getting third, 1/10 you gave Chelsea last season for finishing tenth. That's the season for you - every single game, goal, moment, twist and turn condensed into finishing position. You could ultimately not pay any attention for a year and post the very same after checking the final table.

It's true that results are important, but I don't think anyone else so casually dismisses performances and circumstances, City's "board" included, as you do. In fact, your score remains the lowest here, a badge of honour for biggest and loudest flapper of them all. "We didn't win the league therefore it's a vastly below average year," claims fan of club that has won the league only twice in the last 50 years. OK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.