Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

'This is the football' as Roberto Mancini once said.

For every 93:20, Gillingham and 6-1, there's a Spurs VAR, Porto 2021 and this.

It hurts more this morning than it did last night.

The common themes from the last month are missed chances and fine margins. Liverpool at home, last week and then late on last night too. As much as I like to analyse the game, it's just utter chaos for injury time and we got sucker punched.

We've got a brilliant team and manager, but I'd expect some changes in the summer, particularly in the forward positions. There's a great core under 30 and the likes of Grealish will improve markedly next season.

Now is the time to really back our lads. They'll be hurt, but we can lift them.

Can't question the team's effort last night. We were done by Real's 93:20 Aguero moment!
The boys left nothing out there on the pitch.
Despite have a 'big and expensive' squad, the reality is that Pep is playing with 15-16 players, and with the number of games played in all competitions, most looked burned out. Bernie and Phil still running at the end (probably still running now), but others dead on their feet.
Walker was first a big gain and then a big loss having cancelled out their main threat.

The bit I cannot understand is the performance of the substitutes.
Real swapped all 3 of their aging midfield with youngsters, freshening up their midfield.
We swapped 2 for Gundog and Ferna, and while they contributed (particularly Gundog doing forward) we gained no more energy in midfield. Then we bring on the 'freshest legs' in Jack and later Raz and stick them so far wide that they are hardly in the game. Okay Jack frightened them with a couple of near misses from out wide when put into space, but the battle was in the middle of the park.
(I'm still not sure Jack brings enough of a threat, or enough positional options for our team. I fear the jury is going to be out for a long time - time which we cannot afford)
I lost patience with Raz's first touch and lack of final ball or shot a long time ago. However, when you bring on a fresh-legged whippet as a substitute, at any level, the least you expect is that they will run themselves into the ground chasing down the opposition, fully committed, not half hearted.

So all-in-all Pep put out the strongest 11 for both skill and work rate and we came up short away from home in one of the cauldrons of Europe. For me the lack of squad depth and ability to rotate without having the levels slip has been key this season. I hate to mention the scousers, but they've been putting faith in their squad and changing as many as 7 players between CL legs, and for PL games.
Now we need to regroup quickly, and win the next 4 matches. CTID.

Jesus just gonna through the Pep and player threads , if some had there way we would be looking for a new manager and about 8 new players , they didn’t have a shot on target till 90 minutes

A striker who wasn't a striker.

Outscoring Liverpool without a striker to speak of, winning titles in the process, suggests the lack of a striker is marginal gains at best and revisionism when it's required.

We scored five goals against Real Madrid.

We needed to score six just to take it to penalties.

That would suggest a mentality and a defensive problem, not a lack of goals in the team!
I couldn't agree more. I really want Haaland and we are absoulety in need of a new striker, but last night we had the game won and fell apart in 6 minutes of football. We scored enough to win the tie but defensively we were shocking. I've never felt so low after a game, due to the nature in which we lost it. Ahead by 2 goals on four occasions, led for 178 minutes of whole tie, better team in both legs (apart from extra time) we just shouldn't have lost.

Jesus just gonna through the Pep and player threads , if some had there way we would be looking for a new manager and about 8 new players , they didn’t have a shot on target till 90 minutes

It’s a day the none city fans have a field day on here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.