Referees/Officials 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
MillionMilesAway. apparently yes according to ex ref Mark Halsey in yesterday's Blue Tuesday on Radio Manchester, he more or less stated that once the ref has got a card in his hand and has written the players name on it he cannot then change his mind. Hence there is grounds for an appeal.

With Taylor 'how many matches we lose under him' is not a significant parameter, rather it is WHICH matches do we lose under him?

For example, any ref could have been assigned v Liverpool away, it was a match we could afford to lose, so an asset such as Taylor was not going to be wasted on that match.

Absolutely, which is why the basic numbers need the context added.
As I put (albeit with appalling typing of ''draws') were the ones lost/drawn. Chelsea last year we know, and 1-3 to Leicester.
I've added the City/Utd comparison. Neither has won a match against a top 6 under Taylor.

I've done an analysis of the last 8 full seasons for all the major, currently operating refs but I've taken it over all games, rather than splitting them out into top 6 or tight ones. On that basis Taylor is actually the most consistent of the refs with little deviation from the points per game under him vs the overall ppg over the 8 seasons. With us, it's 1.9ppg compared to 2.0 overall, which is his worst showing for any of the top 6.

However the club who should be most worried is Arsenal. Dean (1.11 ppg) & Oliver (1.06 ppg ) reffing their games show a very significant deviation from the norm (1.93 ppg).

MillionMilesAway. apparently according to ex ref Mark Halsey in yesterday's Blue Tuesday on Radio Manchester, yes once the ref has got the card in his hand and has written the players name on it he cannot then change his mind. hence there is grounds for an appeal.

I'd seen comments from Monday night/ Tuesday morning, not yesterday evening (I assume this is the one you mention).

If Halsey is quoting the rules, great. If he's quoting 'best practice', then it's not as important - the practice is obviously terrible.
My suspicion is it's the latter as I would think otherwise they would appeal, and the Polls, Hacketts and Gallaghers would have quoted that it was against the rules. I've not seen them do so, and Halsey has quoted the rules wrongly in the past.

I've done an analysis of the last 8 full seasons for all the major, currently operating refs but I've taken it over all games, rather than splitting them out into top 6 or tight ones. On that basis Taylor is actually the most consistent of the refs with little deviation from the points per game under him vs the overall ppg over the 8 seasons. With us, it's 1.9ppg compared to 2.0 overall, which is his worst showing for any of the top 6.

However the club who should be most worried is Arsenal. Dean (1.11 ppg) & Oliver (1.06 ppg ) reffing their games show a very significant deviation from the norm (1.93 ppg).

I remember reading that ages ago.
Very strange differences - I gave the top 6 as an alternative for league importance.

There are some odd things.

Clattenburg career league matches:
Utd – 15-10-8
City – 18-11-8

It looks really odd as to where we have had Clattenburg though:
2004-2011: 11 home, 3 away. 9 wins total
2011-2017: 5 home, 18 away. 9 wins total
I did an article for KOTK on Clattenburg's rather bizarre performances for our games and you could split them into two time periods. I used 2010/11 onwards (up to the end of 2015/16) and compared that period to the one up to 2009/10.

Up to 2009/10 the record was P8 W6 D2 L0
After that it was P22 W8 D7 L7. Our overall record for that latter period was P228 W142 D43 L43 so there was a significant difference between our overall results and those in games under him. We therefore underperformed by about 15 points in games reffed by him and you could pinpoint the incidents that could well have cost us those points.

MillionMilesAway. apparently yes according to ex ref Mark Halsey in yesterday's Blue Tuesday on Radio Manchester, he more or less stated that once the ref has got a card in his hand and has written the players name on it he cannot then change his mind. Hence there is grounds for an appeal.

I think it was this I saw:
https://you-are-the-ref.com/mark-halsey-taylor-stuck-original-decision/

None of that says 'must', which is why I think it's Halsey talking about best practice.

I did an article for KOTK on Clattenburg's rather bizarre performances for our games and you could split them into two time periods. I used 2010/11 onwards (up to the end of 2015/16) and compared that period to the one up to 2009/10.

Up to 2009/10 the record was P8 W6 D2 L0
After that it was P22 W8 D7 L7. Our overall record for that latter period was P228 W142 D43 L43 so there was a significant difference between our overall results and those in games under him. We therefore underperformed by about 15 points in games reffed by him and you could pinpoint the incidents that could well have cost us those points.

That's where I read it back in the mists of time. This was after the Spurs games, wasn't it?

On p373 I used 2011 as a separator as that's where the Home/away split struck me as odd:
2004-2011: 11 home, 3 away. 9 wins total
2011-2017: 5 home, 18 away. 9 wins total

Far less wins pro rata but a total swing in homes/aways. Obviously the side is better in the second part, which makes the wins look more odd.

Pawson and Oliver do the same.

Watch him on Sunday as we get into attacking positions on the left hand side. Pep has to negate refereeing positioning as well as opposition when creating match tactics.
I noticed this in many games this season. It can't be accidental as it happens too much. It really needs flagging up by someone in the media or the club or it will just continue . It's a very subtle and effective way of disrupting our play.

It’s very strange watching the Fernandinho & Aguero red cards against Chelsea last season. You have to watch it from a few angles to see Taylor at all times but at no point does he write either players details down, it’s straight to the red card, which makes Delph’s even more suspicious.

You can also see him put the whistle up to his mouth and reach in the same pocket the red cards came out of after the Luiz challenge on Aguero, then he stops, the ball rolls back to the Chelsea keeper with all 22 players stood still clearly waiting for a decision to be made and only then does Taylor wave play on like nothing happened.
Referees don't write down the names of red card recipients. Those players are off the pitch, so can't influence the game anymore, and aren't at risk of getting a second yellow card. They only detail yellow card offences, to make sure any second yellow is also a red card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.