RIP Alan Smith

I too first met Alan on a pre season tour to Bremen and Eindhoven, we needed two people to fill a mini bus so we put up a notice in the social club, we picked up Alan and his mate rod at Victoria station, our first impression was who have we got here two idiots from Preston, but for the next week they had us in stitches with there antics. After that we then bumped into him dancing in a fountain in Bilbao at the 82 world cup.I've known him ever since seeing him all over the country.even if you met him in a crowded pub just letting on to him brought a smile to my face. Rip Alan
His Brother John is from Preston, Alan originally was from Oswaldtwistle which explains a lot lol, glad you had happy memories of him as well, brought a smile to my face that post mate

I never met him personally but I recognise the face and have heard stories too. RIP to a clearly incredible character and a much loved man.

Shocked to hear this sad news. Had known Alan since 1975, around that time Blackpool & Fylde supporters club was set up, him and 1 or 2 others used to jump on our coach at Preston,(he lived in Longridge) Rodney was one of them, Scottish lad who lives in Aberdeen now i think. Last time i saw Alan was first game this season at Newcastle. Alan was a great supporter, would never miss a game, in 76-77 we did every game together home and away getting kicked to fuck most of the time. Had a few trips abroad too, Holland and Belgium come to mind, also a couple of trips with England. Know his brother John, big PNE lad, think he was interviewed on North West tonight the other day about them having a coming home parade. Alan did move to Oswaldtwistle in the 80's but in recent years was living Warrington way i think.
Heart felt sympathy goes out to his family. If anyone hears of any news concerning the arrangements for his funeral please post on here.
R.I.P Alan, a true blue.

Shocked to hear this sad news. Had known Alan since 1975, around that time Blackpool & Fylde supporters club was set up, him and 1 or 2 others used to jump on our coach at Preston,(he lived in Longridge) Rodney was one of them, Scottish lad who lives in Aberdeen now i think. Last time i saw Alan was first game this season at Newcastle. Alan was a great supporter, would never miss a game, in 76-77 we did every game together home and away getting kicked to fuck most of the time. Had a few trips abroad too, Holland and Belgium come to mind, also a couple of trips with England. Know his brother John, big PNE lad, think he was interviewed on North West tonight the other day about them having a coming home parade. Alan did move to Oswaldtwistle in the 80's but in recent years was living Warrington way i think.
Heart felt sympathy goes out to his family. If anyone hears of any news concerning the arrangements for his funeral please post on here.
R.I.P Alan, a true blue.
Yes, Golborne Warrington was his last adress

RIP WALT ( Alan)
as he was known by as i grew up with him in Longridge.
I'd moved from Aberdeen, last year of school at 15. My nickname Haggis has stuck for some Preston blues from back then.
Through our love of playing football and having a drink behind the local offy ,before the under 18s disco of a Thursday night ,we quickly became best mates doing everything together.
He was by then a season ticket holder and travelled on his own to Maine Rd.
He took me along last game of season at Maine Rd to my first City match 1974/75
He worked part time in the Hermitage restaurant in Grimsargh, and various places dishwashing to earn the money to buy a shed full bedroom of city memorabilia and goto city being the main reason.
Once we left school and finished college.
Well I did college in Preston he went to Blackpool catering college daily lol
A chef cmon. ......hey we had no idea what we wanted to do.
But Alan a chef no no no.
I think he met some of the Blackpool branch there
Anyway we had more money in our pockets. By time we were 18 home and away games were regular and we made our first trip to Europe with b/pool lads.
Ian Bennet and Phil Greenwood being our closest pals.
Twenty Enchede 1-1 Dave Watson.
Plus the whole week in Amsterdam.
Then Brugge ...slept in train station for most of the 4 days or a 24 hour pub we found.
Those 2 were great but the trips got better the more experience we had.
Bremen and Eindhoven in a mini bus with 10 Manchester lads we'd never met before.
Chris Philips driving, Alex and Paki were there.
We slept in a park 1 drunken night in amongst a biker gang lol
Every trip was done by ferry ,bus and trains.
Flying to football ? Lol
You had to do it old school.
We did Preston to Madrid and back in 82 for world cup 12 /13 of us.
30 days we were away.
In Bilbao for first 2 weeks we slept mainly in a derelict house on the coast 20 miles away.
Amongst the Basque sepretists where the police didn't venture.
Local pub knew we were sleeping on the beaches and gave us brushes to clean out the house with no roof.
They told us nobody will touch your rucksacks.leave your passports if you want.
They were the law. ....but if we messed up they would deal with us.
Great people
We stayed on a camp site 30 miles outside Madrid later in next round.
We missed the England v West Germany game after going on an early session. ...eh.... as soon as we woke up that morning session.
Hey game ko8pm so we didn't have much time.
The Madrid police on their coffee break ,were in the bar outside the ground,we all staggered into.
They enjoyed our singing of Rule Brittania and the Falklands were ours so much they invited Alan and I swiftly back to their place for the next 3 days.
We never got a chance to say thanks to them.
Anyway ...phew I could write a book on our laughs we had when we were younger.
And Alan lived a life after that stage that was also full of bigger and better trips.
His photo albums are amazing
So many blues will miss him.
My heart goes out to his wife Linda and little Joe and his brother John.
Hopefully see some old faces at the funeral to see Alan off

met alan many years a go. he would always say you ok mate , now I wish I ask him the same question , he aways had a great smile on his face , he love city and England , his wife and boy .so much ,the world will be a lot sadder with out him , so REST IN PACE NOW GOOD FRIEND ,

RIP WALT ( Alan)
as he was known by as i grew up with him in Longridge.
I'd moved from Aberdeen, last year of school at 15. My nickname Haggis has stuck for some Preston blues from back then.
Through our love of playing football and having a drink behind the local offy ,before the under 18s disco of a Thursday night ,we quickly became best mates doing everything together.
He was by then a season ticket holder and travelled on his own to Maine Rd.
He took me along last game of season at Maine Rd to my first City match 1974/75
He worked part time in the Hermitage restaurant in Grimsargh, and various places dishwashing to earn the money to buy a shed full bedroom of city memorabilia and goto city being the main reason.
Once we left school and finished college.
Well I did college in Preston he went to Blackpool catering college daily lol
A chef cmon. ......hey we had no idea what we wanted to do.
But Alan a chef no no no.
I think he met some of the Blackpool branch there
Anyway we had more money in our pockets. By time we were 18 home and away games were regular and we made our first trip to Europe with b/pool lads.
Ian Bennet and Phil Greenwood being our closest pals.
Twenty Enchede 1-1 Dave Watson.
Plus the whole week in Amsterdam.
Then Brugge ...slept in train station for most of the 4 days or a 24 hour pub we found.
Those 2 were great but the trips got better the more experience we had.
Bremen and Eindhoven in a mini bus with 10 Manchester lads we'd never met before.
Chris Philips driving, Alex and Paki were there.
We slept in a park 1 drunken night in amongst a biker gang lol
Every trip was done by ferry ,bus and trains.
Flying to football ? Lol
You had to do it old school.
We did Preston to Madrid and back in 82 for world cup 12 /13 of us.
30 days we were away.
In Bilbao for first 2 weeks we slept mainly in a derelict house on the coast 20 miles away.
Amongst the Basque sepretists where the police didn't venture.
Local pub knew we were sleeping on the beaches and gave us brushes to clean out the house with no roof.
They told us nobody will touch your rucksacks.leave your passports if you want.
They were the law. ....but if we messed up they would deal with us.
Great people
We stayed on a camp site 30 miles outside Madrid later in next round.
We missed the England v West Germany game after going on an early session. ...eh.... as soon as we woke up that morning session.
Hey game ko8pm so we didn't have much time.
The Madrid police on their coffee break ,were in the bar outside the ground,we all staggered into.
They enjoyed our singing of Rule Brittania and the Falklands were ours so much they invited Alan and I swiftly back to their place for the next 3 days.
We never got a chance to say thanks to them.
Anyway ...phew I could write a book on our laughs we had when we were younger.
And Alan lived a life after that stage that was also full of bigger and better trips.
His photo albums are amazing
So many blues will miss him.
My heart goes out to his wife Linda and little Joe and his brother John.
Hopefully see some old faces at the funeral to see Alan off
The City stuff he had was amazing, I remember the kitchen of his house in Oswaldtwistle where he lived with Angie his first Wife, the walls were literally covered with old match tickets and other stuff, Angela used to shrug her shoulders and say ''what can you doit's his life'' and laugh
TOP, TOP Blue

Although it's obviously really sad circumstances, I always find it uplifting to hear of someone who lived life to the full and who enhanced the lives of those around him. My sympathies to his family and all of you guys who knew him well.

Not seen much of Alan in recent years but enjoyed numerous away trips especially in the 80s with him. We'd be on the train from Blackpool and Alan would invariably get on at Preston or Crewe. One certainty was he would get on the train with carrier bag full of ale. Followed City through all the dark days and its great that he saw the glory days return. It was a pleasure to be in his company and you couldn't meet a nicer bloke. Heart felt sympathys to all of those close to him.
RIP mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.