Rochdale

acquiesce said:
If I can't get City tix or they play on another day I always try to get to Spotland and see them. Nice the metrolink runs out that way now. Up the Dale indeed!
Make sure you allow plenty of time if you go on the tram. As it goes all round through Oldham it takes 3 times longer than the train (my mum & dad live there). Fking great investment! Pity they didn't spend the money on revitalising the town centre shopping area - it certainly needs it!

Phil Meup said:
acquiesce said:
If I can't get City tix or they play on another day I always try to get to Spotland and see them. Nice the metrolink runs out that way now. Up the Dale indeed!
Make sure you allow plenty of time if you go on the tram. As it goes all round through Oldham it takes 3 times longer than the train (my mum & dad live there). Fking great investment! Pity they didn't spend the money on revitalising the town centre shopping area - it certainly needs it!

I lived in the Dale for 18 years and went back to visit last week. The town centre is a waste of time, nothing there but discount stores and charity shops, even the McDonalds has gone! It was never the best of towns growing up there but I can't think of anything that would attract people to shop there, no wonder everyone i know who still lives in the town goes to Bury instead.

Still look out for the Dale scores, might pop down later in the season depending on how much it costs to get in the Sandy Lane end these days - had some great times in there in the 90's

kenzie115 said:
Do the club want a promotion? They struggled hugely last time. They don't have the largest fan base and so income is limited, I think they'd struggle again at a higher level.

They actually finished 9th in their first season in league 1, only missing out on the play offs by a couple of points. Unfortunately Keith Hill left to go to Barnsley and they were then relegated the next season after appointing Steve Eyre from us which was a mistake.

BlueTG said:
kenzie115 said:
Do the club want a promotion? They struggled hugely last time. They don't have the largest fan base and so income is limited, I think they'd struggle again at a higher level.
For a lot of teams down there, promotion hope is all that keeps their season going and with reasonable excitement, barring a good ol' relegation scrap. I guess the aim would be to learn from last time.

Look at Scunthorpe, up, up, down, up, down, down and trying to get back up again.
It's not a easy cycle to break and maintain sometimes. But it's football, if you don't want to be the winner, then what is the point.

A lot of my friends are Dale fans and you really have to hold your hand up to them.
They travel all over the country following a team with little chance of success.
One of the main problems with Rochdale is that they are surrounded by team with much bigger fan bases.
Within 1 hours drive you can watch City , Rags, Everton ,Liverpool,Bolton.Blackburn,Burnley,Wigan,Blacpool,Leeds,even Stoke with a clear run.
11 clubs that have played premier league football at some time.
They dont have a chance fan wise but I wish them all the best.

Been a couple of times in the last few years. Loads of old school fans and some youngsters too. Quaint stadium too.

Be really sad to see them die.
Not been for a fair few years. My sister's fella is a huge Dale fan and I used to walk up there with a few school mates on Saturdays when City were playing away. So I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them. Good bunch of them in The Cemetery pub after the games too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.