Rochdale

Is there any other club's fans who have stuck with their team as they slipped down the leagues besides MCFC?
Wednesday might have had a decent average attendance when they first went to the third division. I'm thinking about the season when they had around 49,000 for a derby game.
Not sure about Villa at the same level.

Went a few times when we weren't playing (must be years ago), I remember Bret Angel playing for the other team in one of the games.

Was also there for the City game when 'Ken Carr' appeared off the bench for us which for some reason they only had 3/4 turnstiles for thousands of us.

I remember going years ago for a match against Villa when both teams were in (I think) the old Third Division.

Dale came out for the first half like a team that had just played for 90 minutes. Villa looked sharp and up for it. The body language was astonishing in terms of the difference between the two teams. (I'm pretty sure Rochdale had a player called Tony Buck who played up front.)

Somehow, Dale won 1-0!

IIRC Villa got good home crowds that year. Around 30,000-35,000.

My best mate is a Rochdale fan and I've been numerous times over this past few years but it's been a pretty unrelentingly miserable watch. Saw them a few weeks ago lose at home to Dagenham and Redbridge and it was as awful as you'd imagine.
There were rumours at the start of the season that the consortium led by Tom Brady who ended up at Birmingham did make enquiries but were put off by the complicated ownership of the club (pretty much what is mentioned in the article about them desperately needing to be sold by the end of next month).
Be yet another hammer blow to a town that needs all the help it can get at the moment, and has been turned into a political laughing stock ahead of the by-election.

Last edited:
Sad to hear about this. When I was coming over to England twice a year to watch City, would always try and take in game at Spotland. Everyone there was quite welcoming. My mate lived in Rochdale.

Wonder what would happen if a Premier League team offered to "invest as a minority shareholder" ?
Doubt if the Americans will invest as the Wrexham story has been done, successfully.

The Arab States want bigger fish to fry.

Cannot see any European investment ?

The Chinese are pulling out from British clubs.

What if City wanted to be a minority,benevolent investor ? Would it encouraged, or even allowed ?
Not allowed I think. CFG might be interested!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.