Running

I was late to running but really enjoy it. Not the fastest but can comfortably run 50 min 10k or sub 2-hour half marathon.

Did my first half marathon back in May and due to run the Manchester half in October. I'm halfway through a training programme which mixes up a Sunday long run with easy runs, tempo runs and interval training. However, this time around my calves and achilles are very tender and i'm struggling to get anywhere near race pace.

I think I need new trainers but any advice/suggestions from the more experienced runners on here?

Have you had your running gait checked recently? Decathlon in Stockpot will do a gait analysis for free i believe. I had similar issues about 6 months ago and thought it was purely down to over training. I discovered that my gait had changed from being a neutral to a supinator - I changed running shoes and all has been well since.

It's probably worth a trip to the Quacks anyway to check its nothing serious - achilles tendonitis etc.

I have started running from the office to the car park on the way in and on the way home - 260 metres each way. Might sound nothing but 2.5 km a week is start.

Have you had your running gait checked recently? Decathlon in Stockpot will do a gait analysis for free i believe. I had similar issues about 6 months ago and thought it was purely down to over training. I discovered that my gait had changed from being a neutral to a supinator - I changed running shoes and all has been well since.

It's probably worth a trip to the Quacks anyway to check its nothing serious - achilles tendonitis etc.

Cheers. Had this done at Asics in Cheshire Oaks last pair I bought and they still got it wrong. Ended up losing 2 toenails twice so had to stop running in them as they turned out to be too narrow. New shoes then to the quacks if it persists, as you say.

Anybody use orthotics? My feet are low arched and sometimes give me aches on my soles or my achilles after about 7 miles.

Started running at new year, brought my 5k down from 25 to 21 minutes at parkruns (though I've only done 1 in the past 2 months so may have added some time) and finished York 10k in 45 minutes. Aiming for sub 20 and 40 in the future.

Running Yorkshire 10 miler next month then onto half marathons. Taking it gradual to make sure my glass legs can handle it.

Anybody use orthotics? My feet are low arched and sometimes give me aches on my soles or my achilles after about 7 miles.

Started running at new year, brought my 5k down from 25 to 21 minutes at parkruns (though I've only done 1 in the past 2 months so may have added some time) and finished York 10k in 45 minutes. Aiming for sub 20 and 40 in the future.

Running Yorkshire 10 miler next month then onto half marathons. Taking it gradual to make sure my glass legs can handle it.
Racing a half is easier than racing a 10k.
I can probably recommend some races for a quick time for 10k if you need some help

I used to do a bit of running to keep fit until I did my Achilles playing 5 a side a few years back. Piled a load of weight on so last summer tried to get fit again (I've lost around 2 stone). The last 6 months or so I stepped up the running but I manage about 5 or 6k each time and not that fast. Occasionally I manage a faster or longer run but just seem to hit the wall. I'm fast approaching 47 but still think I should be able to do what I was doing 10 years ago.

Marathon - 4:52 (Brighton)

Half - 1:53 (Deal)

10k - 51.20 (Stratford)

5k - 25:03 (Dartford)

My record runs, was meant to be running Nottingham half marathon in a couple weeks but I've got fat and done no fitness after my 2 week holiday so going to give it a miss.

Need to get my mojo back as running is the best thing.

OP you need to start doing a lot of interval training to get your times down, and as someone else says do longer runs on your big run day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.