Running

Jesus, just heard my friend was found dead this morning, suspected heart attack.
We started on the railways together in 1986. Same age as me (48), and he started running last year. He had just lost his wife a few months a go and was running the London marathon in a few weeks for the hospice... :(

i run at least 5 times a week but my diet is bloody awful, i think i have a genuine problem. Im happy with my pace, generally in and around the 7.30/40 minute miles, and my actual meal times are fine, but then a soon as i taste a bit of sugar/chocolate/savory snack thats it, i binge and the days good run is wasted and then some. i just cant stop snacking.
Exactly like me. I run 3-5 times every week from 2.5-7 miles. I’m not really hungry but once I start, I can’t stop. I’ll have my days when I’ll run 7.30 per mile and others when I just struggle around 8.30+

I liked Katherine Ryan's response to someone who said they were doing a marathon to raise Cancer awareness.

"We've heard of it, sit down".

I'm 48 and and started running mid January. Not ran since school days etc. Over 15 stone! (short arse as well, so not good shape), but don't smoke.
I'm very active through my job which involves ladders and constantly walking around and lifting. So thought i was fairly fit. (for my age)
Instead of reading up first, i just drove up to Dovestones Reservoir and started jogging. Fuck me i nearly passed out within a minute.
I walked until i caught my breath, and then jogged a bit more.
The total distance was 3.2k and it took me 33 mins. The weird thing is i had no leg pain/ache during or afterwards. It was all my breathing (or lack of it!)
Realised i needed i bit of advice and read up a bit. Yes , i had got it all wrong. Too much too soon.

I've stuck at it, and try to go three times a week if my job allows. Two months later i'm now sub 20 mins for 3.5k. I no longer need to walk, and last week was the first time i felt in control of my breathing. I must admit, i did begin to wonder what the fuss about running was. All i wanted to do was stop the minute i started running!

Somehow my weight had started to go up a bit! WTF? I think i thought because i was running, i could now eat a bit more. So for the last two weeks i have controlled my diet. The weight has started to rapidly fall off.
My next target is to run for 5k. Not worried about the time. I just want to be in control breath wise.

I did take some advice about joint damage, as i was diagnosed with early onset Osteoarthritis a few years a go. That actually turned out to be caused by nothing more than severe dehydration. The official line is that moderate running can actually be of benefit to the joints. 30 mins three times a week will not cause me any problems.

Early days but loving that feeling "after" a run. Feeling much fitter and it's helping in my job.

I'm the same. Most of what I eat is fine but as soon as someone cracks out the sweet stuff at work I'm like a rabid sugar lunatic.

Only started running this time last year, joined the local athletics club and head to parkrun to run or volunteer when I get chance. Currently at 20:24 for 5k, 45 for 10k and completed my first HM just before Christmas a couple minutes under 2 hours.

Sub 20 is the next goal for 5k, and to run a few more half marathons before applying to do the Berlin marathon in a year or 2.

Lincoln 10k this Sunday if it's on due to weather warnings and vale of york 10 mile next month, bring on those lighter evenings!

Same. I eat so much junk after runnings it’s ridiculous

I eat lots of raisins and nuts, seem to keep me fuller so I stay of the sweeter stuff, try fruit when really craving something sweet. It’s probably not ideal tbh but I find cereal also helps.
Looking at the Ketosis diet but not starting for a few weeks and it’s supposed to help with endurance.
Not looking forward to tomorrow’s Wilmslow half marathon in this weather!!

Jesus, just heard my friend was found dead this morning, suspected heart attack.
We started on the railways together in 1986. Same age as me (48), and he started running last year. He had just lost his wife a few months a go and was running the London marathon in a few weeks for the hospice... :(
Awful news. Sorry to hear this.

My typical week would be:
Tuesday: 30/45 mins high tempo run.
Thursday: 90/ 120 mins steady club run.
Sat or Sun 2 to 3 hour run.
All done off road, as I've got older any runs on tarmac destroy my legs.

I'm in a very similar boat to you mate. My PB is 4:07:44 (8 years ago!) and I would really like to go under 4 hours. Training is going well; I'd like to do more but with work and family etc... You know how it is. The distance will be no problem; done quite a few 20/21/22 mile runs recently but keeping the pace under 9m/m will be the challenge for me.
Have you got a ballot place (blue start) or charity (red start)? I've got my first ever ballot place after a good number of years trying. I'm in pen 5 in the blue start (for people who entered a predicted time between 3:45 and 3:59).
Strong mate. How many more long runs are you planning? I did 20m on Friday and have 21 and 22 in the diary for the next 2 Fridays before slowing down ahead of the big day. I'm in a similar boat to you - my long runs often come in slower than 9m/m but I'm putting that down to how hilly north London is. On the flats I think I might be OK. I'm going to try and find the 3:56 pacer and try stick to him as long as possible.

I also got in the ballot, so I'm assuming I'll also be in the blue pen (Blackheath, right?). How do you know which pen you've been assigned? I would assume I'm in the same pen as you then as I also put that as my target time. You done London before?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.