Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His goals were hiding his average performances for over a year now. When he doesn't score than this thread gets few more pages but truth is his overall game is pretty average for a pretty long time. Was nothing better than this last year, was nothing less selfish etc. but he is great scorer and while he is scoring them he is getting away with the rest.

I was saying it near the end of the last season and was getting destroyed here but I see lot of people are seeing it right now. Aguero lost a yard of pace and he'll never be the same player from 2-3 years ago anymore. He can't dribble a stone anymore because he is missing that yard that was helping him to do it. We better get use to the fact that him and Silva are fading stars. They are top quality though and will still get some good or great games but we won't see that consistency anymore we were used to from them two. TBH, depending on what we'll get from Jesus, I wouldn't be extremely sad if they were both sold next summer. Yeah, some will find that a bit ****ish but that's my view, I'm not getting myself too tied with players.

Last edited:
His goals were hiding his average performances for over a year now. When he doesn't score than this thread gets few more pages but truth is his overall game is pretty average for a pretty long time. Was nothing better than this last year, was nothing less selfish etc. but he is great scorer and while he is scoring them he is getting away with the rest.

I was saying it near the end of the last season and was getting destroyed here but I see lot of people are seeing it right now. Aguero lost a yard of pace and he'll never be the same player from 2-3 years ago anymore. He can't dribble a stone anymore because he is missing that yard that was helping him to do it. We better get use to the fact that him and Silva are fading stars. They are top quality though and will still get some good or great games but we won't see that consistency anymore we were used to from them two. TBH, depending on what we'll get from Jesus, I wouldn't be extremely sad if they were both sold next summer. Yeah, some will find that a bit ****ish but that's my view, I'm not getting myself too tied with players.
Agree with everything tbh.

The team is struggling to create chances at the moment - but doing well at creating chances for the opposition. No good focussing on performance of the guy at the sharp end.

He is struggling at the moment. He's doing the closing down thing quite well, but he isn't using others when he gets the ball - he generally runs into a blind alley and then loses the ball.
Trying to hard? Maybe, but he's certainly struggling to meet Pep's demands for a central striker. He certainly needs to pass the ball more frequently (possibly the only player that does).
To be honnest I expected this and I feel that becoming a striker come winger (more lightly left) is his future under Pep.

I don't think he is 100%
Was watching the warm up and he was not really "trying" on the short sprints with Kolarov out pacing him regularly.
I think he is carrying an injury
I remember reading last year, one of his team mates, say he doesn't make much effort in training but tries in matches. I love Aguero but think he can be lazy and too selfish. If he had stayed onside for KDB's freekick Stone's goal would have been allowed.

Hopefully Pep can encourage him to change his attitude. Train harder, get fitter, make more effort and pass more to team mates.

He ain't going to be Pep's number one striker in this system. He hasn't got the skill set for it.

We need someone taller and stronger who can hold up defenders so we can overcome the opposition high press.

It's baffling that a main aim of Pep is for wingers to stay wide and beat their man, yet there is never anyone dangerous in the box for Sterling or Sane to cross to.

It's no wonder we were linked with Aubamayang and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for Lukaku.

When things aren't going well you expect your big players to take responsibility and try to do something to get the team going. For me, Aguero and Sterling were the 2 players who tried to do this yesterday. In trying to make things happen, Aguero had to go looking for the ball because the midfield we're having no success whatsoever in getting it to him in good positions. Some see that as greedy, running down blind alleys etc. but he at least took responsibility.

If we have problems it's in midfield, especially transitioning from defence to attack - it was all too slow yesterday. Sergio is the least of our problems.

When things aren't going well you expect your big players to take responsibility and try to do something to get the team going. For me, Aguero and Sterling were the 2 players who tried to do this yesterday. In trying to make things happen, Aguero had to go looking for the ball because the midfield we're having no success whatsoever in getting it to him in good positions. Some see that as greedy, running down blind alleys etc. but he at least took responsibility.

If we have problems it's in midfield, especially transitioning from defence to attack - it was all too slow yesterday. Sergio is the least of our problems.

And yet Iheanacho managed to score and create two great scoring opportunities by passing the ball. Sergio had one opportunity, but wasted it by hogging the ball. The problem yesterday with Aguero wasn't that he wasn't getting the ball, but that he wasn't making himself available in the final third.

And yet Iheanacho managed to score and create two great scoring opportunities by passing the ball. Sergio had one opportunity, but wasted it by hogging the ball. The problem yesterday with Aguero wasn't that he wasn't getting the ball, but that he wasn't making himself available in the final third.
Let's castigate the best player at the club, bench him and put Nacho in his place based on yesterday's performance then. I'm sure that'll work. Or maybe we could accept that he isn't a robot who'll perform brilliantly every game and drag the team up by its bootstraps when it's performing poorly? He always makes himself available, yesterday he had to go looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.