Sergio Ramos

Well that's disappointing.

Kompany - no guarantee he will recover his form as much as people say it's an obvious certainty
Demichelis - brilliant but not exactly young
Mangala - still adapting, promising at times but no guarantee
Denayer - no idea how he'll react to the first team picture. Realistically could cope with another year on loan

Id be all over Ramos, who'd be the best defender at the club - unless Vinnie refound his absolute peak form.

I feel like we spent a lot of money on it last year so now we're not prepared to admit CB is a huge issue.
Yes, and if we add Ramos to that then we could say he's not proven in the prem so anything could happen so we need to buy a 6th centre back etc etc. We have plenty of quality at centre back, it's not a priority area of the team. All we need is the manager to implement a system that doesn't make the personnel look like chumps quite so often.

Looks miles better to me yes. Stones physically stronger bit better in the air, Denayer on another planet in all aspects of football.

Based on what ? Based on the fact that Phil Jones is sometimes motm for Manchester Utd. Paul Mcshane is sometimes Hull's hero Nedum Onuaha was oustanding in zome of City's bigfest games etc etc. I'm not saying stones will turn out like them, I'm saying he plays in a team unit he is familiar with.

When he played outside that unit, at under 21 level recently he looked like a big stupid **** with no talent or positional sense.

Denayer meanwhile was marshalling Belgium's defence vs the French 1st team & has been excellent at full international level.

Denayer IS better than Stones. The only question is whether he is suited to the Prem or whether like Mascherano & imo Otamendi, Ramos Piquet & plenty of others, he is more suited to Spanish type football. The Prem is unique. We shall see if he can hack it.
But ability wise, no comparison.

On what grounds can you say Denayer IS better than Stones?

Stones distribution is fantastic, as is his positional sense. To cite them as weaknesses is weird, as they're widely regarded as his strengths; John Terry complimented him on his ability on the ball.

After Everton's game at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho quashed the Barkley hype and was full of superlatives about Stones; this is a European Cup winning coach, who's won titles in 4 different countries, and he was purring about Stones. His knowledge of footballers eclipses any of ours on this forum. The fact they're looking to take him South is testament to how highly he's rated by those who's opinion matter.

Stones distribution is fantastic, as is his positional sense. To cite them as weaknesses is weird, as they're widely regarded as his strengths; John Terry complimented him on his ability on the ball.

After Everton's game at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho quashed the Barkley hype and was full of superlatives about Stones; this is a European Cup winning coach, who's won titles in 4 different countries, and he was purring about Stones. His knowledge of footballers eclipses any of ours on this forum. The fact they're looking to take him South is testament to how highly he's rated by those who's opinion matter.

And you believe everything Moanio says.

Cahill plays for Chelsea.

He is a run of the mill player who suits their systematic style, down to the ground & does a perfectly good job for them. Stones may be the same. 6ft 2, strong, competent on the ball, able to be programmed into the Chelsea backline.

That's ideal for Mourinho.

Then look at Stones in a defence he's not used to, vs a bunch of kids, & as soon as things go a bit pear shaped, he turns into Sun Jihai positionally awful, clumsy, crap on the ball, slow on the turn, just total shite. That's the situation he would face every week at City, the way we play, so open.

Then look at Denayer in the San Siro, with Celtic down to ten men, shouting instructions, spotting problems, cool as fuck, then being brought on for Belgium, away in Israel when Kompany is sent off, bossing around experienced internationals, blocking, tackling, reading danger, then in Paris, blocking everything skinning people for pace, tackling, beating two three players & slotting perfectly weighted passes through to the strikers, even v Wales, his least effective game, he was solid, if not spectacular, & made one half mistake in 90 mins (compared to about 12 by Otamendi for example the other night).

And then he is 19 years old. He already plays like a City player is supposed to (or a Barca, Real Madrid type defender). Not saying Stones couldn't learn to play like that, but Denayer already does it naturally, & is a miles better footballer. He is a miles better footballer than Kompany or Mangala, or Zabaleta, Fernando etc for that matter.

The question is whether he can stand up to the physical/aerial test of the Premier League to play at cb. If he can, we have a possible world class cb on our hands within a year or two. If he can't, I recon he'd be a better fullback of def mid than anything we have & we play him there.

That is the point, imo, where & when you start looking for cb alternatives. Not before he's even had a kick.

Give Denayer a season amongst our current cbs & see if he breaks through. Then look at it.

The question is whether he can stand up to the physical/aerial test of the Premier League to play at cb.

Stick him in the gym for the summer working on his core strength and he'll be fine. Tbh his build looks like he'll naturally fill out a lot over the next 2-3 years anyway.

No way would I take Stones over Denayer.

Denayer is bossing it for Belgium at CB aged 19, whereas Stones is getting embarrassed in the U21s.

Stones is a good player, but I'm not convinced he'll be a top player. Stones hasn't got the pace to play CB in our system, for a start.

We don't need another CB. Kompany, Mangala, Denayer and Demichelis is just about perfect options for next season.

Stick him in the gym for the summer working on his core strength and he'll be fine. Tbh his build looks like he'll naturally fill out a lot over the next 2-3 years anyway.
Other than his height,which puts him at a slight disadvantage,I really don't see any issues with his physique,he look strong and athletic.

He has improved 100% in that respect since his first Celtic game.

He's not a natural aerially dominant player though & hasn't got the extra height/shoulders etc to get him out of trouble. Some players like Micah Richards, are just born to win headers, yet even he is not as reliable as Vinny or Lescott were in that respect. Purely becuse they are monsters & it makes it easier for them.

If Denayer was playing in Spain, he'd win most aerial stuff with his eyes shut, but here, with people hammering crosses, set pieces etc in, it is an area which managers may seek to exploit if he plays.

I think the guy's potentially a one off, but personally I can't call that part at all until I see him put under the pressure. At everything else, I think he can be as good or better than just about anybody.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.