Sidney Rose RIP

Sidney Rose

Sidney Rose, Life Vice President of City, passed away yesterday. Sidney was well in his 90's and had been a City fan for something like 85 years.

I was privileged to know Sidney for quite a few years and he was an amazing character. He was a leading orthopaedic surgeon and served as City's medical advisor for many years and saw some of the boardroom battles that took place over the many years he was involved with the club.

But the one outstanding memory I have is sitting listening to him talk about the Munich air crash and the ultimately futile efforts to save Duncan Edwards' life. Both of us were reduced to tears by his moving and emotional memories of those events, albeit nearly 50 years on.

An amusing story he told me was about the legendary Peter Doherty. He was Doherty's commanding officer in the RAF and was naturally only too happy to give him leave to play for City. However one weekend, just after the end of the war, Doherty was a little evasive when he asked for leave, citing a family wedding he had to attend rather than a City game. Only afterwards did Sidney find out that he'd played for Derby County and had arranged a transfer to them. He wasn't best pleased to put it mildly.

He was such a lovely man. Condolences to his family.

A familiar name - I think he was always listed as honorary vice president in our roll of honour in programmes - and a City stalwart

R.I.P. Sidney

I met him and many years ago worked with his son for a bit. RIP Sidney - a fine man and servant to the club.

RIP to a true blue servant of the club and thoughts are very much with his friends and family.

Re: Sidney Rose

Prestwich_Blue said:
Sidney Rose, Life Vice President of City, passed away yesterday. Sidney was well in his 90's and had been a City fan for something like 85 years.

I was privileged to know Sidney for quite a few years and he was an amazing character. He was a leading orthopaedic surgeon and served as City's medical advisor for many years and saw some of the boardroom battles that took place over the many years he was involved with the club.

But the one outstanding memory I have is sitting listening to him talk about the Munich air crash and the ultimately futile efforts to save Duncan Edwards' life. Both of us were reduced to tears by his moving and emotional memories of those events, albeit nearly 50 years on.

An amusing story he told me was about the legendary Peter Doherty. He was Doherty's commanding officer in the RAF and was naturally only too happy to give him leave to play for City. However one weekend, just after the end of the war, Doherty was a little evasive when he asked for leave, citing a family wedding he had to attend rather than a City game. Only afterwards did Sidney find out that he'd played for Derby County and had arranged a transfer to them. He wasn't best pleased to put it mildly.

He was such a lovely man. Condolences to his family.

Is that the same Peter Doherty who was court-martialled and given a dishonourable discharge from the RAF for lying to a senior officer in early 1946?

:)

Sad news about Sidney Rose. My granddad knew him quite well, and always said what a lovely man he was.

Very sad news indeed.

Very sad RiP Sidney was an important part of our great club Condolences to family and friend

I'm not sure if this was Sidney but when Best broke Glyn Pardoe's leg, a surgeon connected to City saw that it was very serious and rushed down to ensure that Glyn got the correct treatment as soon as possible, even calling the hospital to arrange for Glyn to go in to surgery immediately it was said that his prompt actions probably saved his leg

Used to pick him up 20 odd years ago when on the Cabs. Always good company and a true blue.R.I.P.

Sad news for the club. He really was here when we were shit. And brilliant. And shit and brilliant.

RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.