Smart Parking Fine

chaddblue

Anyone know about this?

Friend of mine drove into a smart parking car park in Oldham on Boxing Day to pick someone up. She never even got out of her car and didnt turn the engine off. Because she didn't get a ticket she's received a fine through the post for £60 which increases to £100 if she doesn't pay within 14 days and £100 if she appeals and doesn't win.

I'm tempted to tell her to ignore it but wondered if anybody had experience of these?

Anyone know about this?

Friend of mine drove into a smart parking car park in Oldham on Boxing Day to pick someone up. She never even got out of her car and didnt turn the engine off. Because she didn't get a ticket she's received a fine through the post for £60 which increases to £100 if she doesn't pay within 14 days and £100 if she appeals and doesn't win.

I'm tempted to tell her to ignore it but wondered if anybody had experience of these?

Smart Parking are not known to issue many court claims to enforce private parking tickets. Since tickets are based on contract law the only way they can force motorists to pay is by taking them to the county court. Some parking companies, such as ParkingEye, issue thousands of claims a month, but Smart Parking are yet to do so. More information on legal enforcement of parking tickets can be found here.

Fuck 'em.

Anyone know about this?

How long was she there?

Could do she not say she was searching fir a space on Boxing Day it would have been packed she left when she couldn't find a space

10 minutes tops she says
Not sure about legal definitions but the dictionary definition of parking is "bring (a vehicle that one is driving) to a halt and leave it temporarily, typically in a car park or by the side of the road." As she didn't leave the car, she wasn't parking, she was waiting. Might be worth a letter or email explaining this. Then ignore it after that if they get back to you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.