Squad shape/formations

When there's a back three, people automatically call them 3 centre backs and others just associate the qualities of big, strong good in the air claps his hands a lot leader to the name centre back. So now there should be 3 big strong noisy players at the back. It was noticeable that Kompany, who's the closest we have to that type, has been kept out of the middle and played wider and looked a bit uncomfortable tbh. Stones has been showing signs of improvement and I think Walker will prove to be quite a versatile player.

Not for me sadly. Not enough goals in that side,lack of pace in wide attacking positions and too many midfielders without the desire to score or break into the box. The formation may work if we had a Deli Alli type midfielder who would hit 20 goals and make the extra man but with the two Silvas and KDB there natural instinct is to sit on the edge of the box.

For me this system would result in 90 percent posession but sides just defending deep knowing there is little creativity in wide areas. Also with the exception of Aguero and Jesus no players to run beyond the striker or break into the box. It would support the continual recycling of the ball horizontally we see when City are struggling with ideas to break teams down.

Also I think the side would lose its ability to counter. One of the features last year was seeing Sane/Sterling charging down the flanks and KDB/Silva slipping the ball in behind the fullback. Also as the opposition was concerned about our pace on the counter/transition it made it more difficult for teams to press high, leaving space behind for our fast players to exploit so the oppositions defence was less likely to defend on the half way line which enabled more space for our midfield to dictate the game and find space inbetween the lines to execute that final pass.

Next season for me it should be a front three with Jesus replacing Sterling to add more of a goal threat as our failing last year was our inability to convert our chances and lack of players inside the box.

Jesus by instinct will naturally make those runs being a striker and unlike Sterling appears a natural finisher. Its tough on Sterling but sadly Silva is also not a natural scorer, similarly KDB rarely gets into the box so we cannot afford one of the attacking three as well as the two 8s who rarely score.
I can see that it probably lacks natural goal scorers, but I think there is compromise which we saw against West Ham. With Sane as a left-wingback technically we have Sane-Aguero-Jesus all on the pitch, just not in the formation we are use to seeing.

When there's a back three, people automatically call them 3 centre backs and others just associate the qualities of big, strong good in the air claps his hands a lot leader to the name centre back. So now there should be 3 big strong noisy players at the back. It was noticeable that Kompany, who's the closest we have to that type, has been kept out of the middle and played wider and looked a bit uncomfortable tbh. Stones has been showing signs of improvement and I think Walker will prove to be quite a versatile player.
Agree, he's surpassing all expectations. I wouldn't be shocked by defensive trio of Walker-Kompany-Mendy at some point.

I think there's nothing more certain than Mendy/ walker/ Danilo being used in a back 3. We saw it last season with Kolarov and our full backs will be pivotal to our style of play.

Someone's getting ten past them this season !
It's a different mindset, playing in the back 2 or 3 requires older head, experience in our team and someone who is used to playing there.

I actually think Kolarov leaving is a major blow to Peps plans, he would have been a good candidate as backup to Kompany being injured. Maybe Otamendi can become the leader at the back.

I can see that it probably lacks natural goal scorers, but I think there is compromise which we saw against West Ham. With Sane as a left-wingback technically we have Sane-Aguero-Jesus all on the pitch, just not in the formation we are use to seeing.

Maybe but still think you will lose that quick transition of play.

If Sane is the left wingback he will not be faced up to the full back when our press wins the ball back negating the effectiveness of his pace.

More likely in that position he would pick up the ball in the second phase of the attack where the opposition will typically be back in position.

It has to be 4-3-3 for me in the vast majority of games as the responsibility will be on us to break sides down which is easier with more creative players and wingers stretching the opposition.

The lack of pivot is an interesting one that I've been thinking about for a while. In the last 3 games where we have played 3 at the back and Yaya has been the pivot, he has most likely played it because he is the one that has played this particular way for Pep the most, from his Barca days. The pivot swaps with the 3 CB's which allows space to be created regularly and the defensive responsibility doesn't seem to be as heavy either. That's why i agree, Guandogan is probably the best suited player here but i feel David could also play this in a rotation with another midfielder.

I also found it quite interesting using Fernandinho in the second half against W.Ham as the centre of the three, potentially giving options to move between 3 - 5 - 2 and 4 - 3- 3 at will.

The lack of pivot is an interesting one that I've been thinking about for a while. In the last 3 games where we have played 3 at the back and Yaya has been the pivot, he has most likely played it because he is the one that has played this particular way for Pep the most, from his Barca days. The pivot swaps with the 3 CB's which allows space to be created regularly and the defensive responsibility doesn't seem to be as heavy either. That's why i agree, Guandogan is probably the best suited player here but i feel David could also play this in a rotation with another midfielder.

I also found it quite interesting using Fernandinho in the second half against W.Ham as the centre of the three, potentially giving options to move between 3 - 5 - 2 and 4 - 3- 3 at will.

I think the main problem with three at the back is that you are dependent on your CBs to pass through the lines, whereas with two CBs it is the defensive midfielder. I'd rather have Yaya, Gundogan or Dino launch attacks than Kompany or Otamendi.

It's a different mindset, playing in the back 2 or 3 requires older head, experience in our team and someone who is used to playing there.

I actually think Kolarov leaving is a major blow to Peps plans, he would have been a good candidate as backup to Kompany being injured. Maybe Otamendi can become the leader at the back.

I think you could be right about Otamendi but our major issue at the back last season was pace. I've never been "anti" Kolarov but his time is done and we won't miss him one jot

Have you noticed how more than one club have narrowed their pitches. Enables four players to cover the width of the pitch. I think the pitch narrowing should favour 4-3-3. Home advantage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.