Sturgeon wants another referendum

@Magicpole Exactly - the U.K. voted not "Scotland and the rest of the U.K." If James VI/I had decided to dissolve England & Wales into the Kingdom of Scotland - whose vote would you be referring to there as "we"?

What will an independent Scotland in the EU mean to you if in 50 years time Scotland has developed an economy worthy of an independent country to support itself, relying on influxes of EU workers (remember you only have a 3m population now). Scottish parliament is no longer full of angry Scots but has as many MPs who are settlers from the EU/foreign born descendants who don't share your sense of Scottishness - or toy throwing English that moved to Scotland to be in the EU. Edinburgh is now another London so there are more of the Scottish population voting for Tory style politics.

Now your reasons for independence are nulled. Was it worth it?

Think there might be nearly 5.3 million, and if non Scots-born people do become MSPs, I'm sure they'll soon become angry; after all, it's part of the national psyche. :-)

She could refuse, but she can't. Hiw can an unelected Prime Minister refuse an elected one who has a manifesto pledge to adhere to?

She won't refuse, she will try to set the timing but that again is a dangerous game and will play into the hands of proof that regardless what we vote for means nothing if Westminster doesn't agree.

The ref should be after the deal is known, which will obviously be before we actually leave in two years. To think that we will hang about a further two years is not going to happen.

Did not see much evidence today of the PM being cowed by the FM into granting a referendum.

May said:

"As we face this great national moment together, I hope you will continue to play your part in the great national effort we need to build the stronger Britain, the fairer Britain, the more outward-looking Britain and the more united Britain that I am determined we should be once we emerge from this period of national change," said the prime minister.

Downing Street refused to respond to a request for comment on the meeting, however, earlier in the day, May told broadcast journalists that she stood by her comments from earlier in the month on another referendum.

The prime minister said: "My position isn't going to change, which is that now is not the time to be talking about a second independence referendum."

Perhaps Nicola forgot to play her trump card - you know the one about:

"How can an unelected Prime Minister refuse an elected one who has a manifesto pledge to adhere to?"

Last edited:
Brilliant news for us.

After all, in 2014 one of the 2 main cases for staying in the UK (The other being the currency issue) was the only way to be certain of staying in the EU was to vote No.

Now that the goalposts have been completely shifted, there is absolutely a mandate for a second referendum.

I sincerely hope my countrymen and woman get it right this time round.

Time to get away from the ever growing far right wing minded lunatics voting for the other far right wing lunatics to govern our country. A clear divide has developed between what is wanted North and South of the border.

#StillYes.

You still won't be in the EU if you vote yes. You'll never offer enough for them to want Scotland.

The most sectarian place in the UK is Glasgow, after Belfast, so think before you call us lunatics.

So, the Scots voted against independence from the UK but they want to be regarded as independent when it comes to the EU? Do they just want to dip in and out of being in the UK when it suits?
Hmmmm.
I think you're right.

The only reason they want to keep the sterling is so all the Poundstretchers up there won't close.

61199c0fc7856ab2b67f1b546ee84d9c333c64a203147a3f288e4884427b5b6d.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.