Summer Transfers

Not really, they afforded Sané and Sterling far too much space - how well we used that space is a credit to the team but if our fullbacks had done the same this place would be in uproar.

Agree, I wasn't so impressed with Monaco's full backs on the night and little surprise the media went out of their way to highlight poor defending on their behalf too. I know they do that to minimise our accomplishments, but there's some truth to the suggestion Monaco looked very suspect at the back.

My feeling on this is as follows: We are being linked quite credibly to over half the Monaco outfield at present, but that's simply untennable. We aren't signing half their team and it's unlikely the club allows more than 3 of their best to go in one window for the sake of face, particularly if they go on to win Ligue 1. With that in mind, I'd make a run on Fabinho for RB who looks class and a genuine Pep-style player and then look in to one (or both) of Silva/Mbappe.

Agree, I wasn't so impressed with Monaco's full backs on the night and little surprise the media went out of their way to highlight poor defending on their behalf too. I know they do that to minimise our accomplishments, but there's some truth to the suggestion Monaco looked very suspect at the back.

My feeling on this is as follows: We are being linked quite credibly to over half the Monaco outfield at present, but that's simply untennable. We aren't signing half their team and it's unlikely the club allows more than 3 of their best to go in one window for the sake of face, particularly if they go on to win Ligue 1. With that in mind, I'd make a run on Fabinho for RB who looks class and a genuine Pep-style player and then look in to one (or both) of Silva/Mbappe.
We've been scouting Fabinho for the best part of 2 years, he's the only one I'd place a bet on us actually planning to sign, I'm sure most people could think of a reason we've been scouting their games heavily for the past couple of months....

I don't see how we fit Silva , Mbappe or Lemar into the squad with the players we have to be able to keep everyone happy especially as they would need to be included in the 17 non homegrown spots. The fullbacks in my mind aren't the sort we need. Fabinho is the one for me he can play the inverted fullback role and seems the intelligent sort of player Pep can play as pivot.
My shopping list would be

Keeper
Fabinho
centre back Laporte or Van Dijk
left back Grimaldo
Pivot, Weigl or Nzonzi.

That would be about it for me.

I don't see how we fit Silva , Mbappe or Lemar into the squad with the players we have to be able to keep everyone happy especially as they would need to be included in the 17 non homegrown spots. The fullbacks in my mind aren't the sort we need. Fabinho is the one for me he can play the inverted fullback role and seems the intelligent sort of player Pep can play as pivot.

Keeper
Fabinho
left back Grimaldo
Pivot, Weigl or Nzonzi.

With Navas and likely Kelechi and Nolito probably going we'll need another winger/attacker.

Keeper
Fabinho
left back Grimaldo
Pivot, Weigl or Nzonzi.

Not suggesting we try and fit all of them in, more like my point was that we should be prioritising Fabinho and then if necessary look in to other Monaco players starting at the front, because their full backs really weren't so effective on the night. I do, however, think another attacking player will almost be essential, as it's doubtful we'll keep Kelechi/Nolito and Aguero's future is still very uncertain with Gabriel Jesus still to return. We'll see.

Agree with you on Fabinho. Grimaldo (or Bernat for this position) would the perfect choice and should be exactly the level City are aiming for, nothing less. Weigl is a firm Pep favorite and a very likely target to compliment our young, talented core. Solid choices all round.
Also do believe we'll be in again on Laporte, but I think they'll try their hand on Bonucci too. Both look infinitely more movable, the former coming off a notable dip in form this season and the latter at the centre of a very public falling out with the management and, ultimately, the powers that be at Juventus. Increased bids may not even be required for their respective clubs to think again on the issue and City will be first in line to pick up the pieces, IMO.

Exciting window coming up, regardless.

Keeper
Fabinho
left back Grimaldo
Pivot, Weigl or Nzonzi.

We definitely have room for an attacking midfielder that's also comfortable on the wing - it gives us a backup for both positions without the bother of keeping 2 players on 1/2 of the game time happy. The two more orthodox forwards I'd agree with, see previous.

With Navas and likely Kelechi and Nolito probably going we'll need another winger/attacker.
If all three went, we would , not sure both Kelechi and Nolito will go. Jesus has more or less replaced Navas, Roberts could probable replace Nolito, but yes if Kelechi went we would need another winger / attacker but probably somebody not somebody that needs to play regularly as they would have Sterling, Sane, Jesus and Aguero in front of them to play in the front three.
Not to mention players like Diaz and Sancho.

We definitely have room for an attacking midfielder that's also comfortable on the wing - it gives us a backup for both positions without the bother of keeping 2 players on 1/2 of the game time happy. The two more orthodox forwards I'd agree with, see previous.
Yes I agree with you, not sure whether Zinchenko can cover that role, I haven't seen anything of him and have no idea how he's doing, but I thought that was his sort of role.

Yes I agree with you, not sure whether Zinchenko can cover that role, I haven't seen anything of him and have no idea how he's doing, but I thought that was his sort of role.

He's not really getting the game time at Eindhoven, having been effectively replaced early on by Marco van Ginkel. I don't think he's impressed much, I remember reading an article earlier in the month where he expresses disappointment at his few performances at PSV and blames them for lack of game time. Since then he's been playing with their reserve side, including at the weekend, and has been quite impressive.

I think Zinchenko is a definite talent, but it seems he's far from the finished article and I doubt he'll be in any position to contribute to City's immediate ambitions.

Zinchenko looks a bit of a talent, he's not getting a lot of game time with PSV last time I looked though and from what I've seen of him I think he'e be a better fit for the inverted left back role than anything else. Personally can see him spending another season on loan next season and maybe replacing Kolarov after that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.