The Boxing thread

Wilder is backed by Al Haymon. He does have the financial backing to make this reality if he so wishes...

Smart move by Wilder, but definitely bollocks imo. Hearn is in New York now and has a meeting with his team tomorrow, so why make that video now? It's put a lot of pressure on Matchroom though.

The offer is pure bullshit. Wilder would be worse off than he would be from the offer he turned down which was $12.5m with double guaranteed in a rematch if Wilder was victorious in the first fight. So $37.5m if he's confident of winning.

So he has turned that down in favour of making the following offer....

$50m guaranteed to AJ with a 50/50 split on anything over that amount. So, for Wilder to make that $37.5m, simple maths would tell you the fight would have to generate $87.5m right? Wrong. It would have to generate quite a bit more as Sky/Matchroom/Showtime/Haymon would all take their cut. Then you have the venue costs, advertising costs, press tour, undercard fighters to pay, sanctioning fees. So you are looking at way upwards of $100m. Probably $120m ish for Wilder to get a sizeable chunk that would trump Hearns initial offers.

400,000 PPV US PPV buys (generous estimate given Wilder's profile) does $31.6m. 1.5m buys in the UK does $41.7m. Now, what this doesn't factor in is that one of these estimates will take a big hit dependant on where the fight is held. If it is held in the UK, the US PPV is considerably less. If held in the US, vice versa. If held in the UK the live gate generates about $12m

Throw in a few million in sponsorships and you're just about at around $87.5m BEFORE you start deducting everyone else's cut.

There is one of 3 things happening in my opinion

1) PR stunt - even Wilder must know a contract of this magnitude cannot be agreed within 24 hours. Especially when nobody has seen the contract yet.

2) Wilder has no interest in a rematch and is banking on the whole show to make enough to just about leave him with more than the initial $12.5m offer made by Eddie - very much doubt it does.

3) Haymon/Showtime are willing to invest the money and make a big loss on the fight in the hope that it leads to huge capital gains later down the line if Wilder wins and America have an undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World.

For me, number 1 is most likely. 2 would be a pointless risk for Wilder and 3 would be a huge risk for Haymon/Showtime. If Wilder and Haymon were in the risk business, he wouldn't have spent the last 9 years fighting C level fighters.

Caught up on Vargas vs Broner last night. Decent enough fight I wasnt scoring it too closely but had Vargas about 2 points up in the end, easy to see why some had Broner up a lot of rounds could have gone either way, I had a few 10-10s too. You just knew Broner would act the clown at the end but what the idiot should have done is listen to his own corner who were telling him to throw more and start throwing punches in bunches rather than single shots. The fight was there for the taking but for me he just didnt throw his hands enough, and that made it easier to side with Vargas who wasnt landing as clean but was throwing volume. Be happy to see the rematch and would actually fancy Broner to win it.

The so called money stunt was a play that Eddie Hearn and Scott Quigg used to try and make the Carl Frampton fight but rather it being done online it was done live on Sky Sports news so seeing this done on them kinda made me laugh. In the end it will all be made and like Frampton Wilder will by far make his biggest pay day. I honestly think this needs to be made in the US have them fight there. Would be great for AJ to headline in Vegas rather than constantly fighting in the UK. A real champion travels the world and fights for me. I know not many US fighters travel the world to fight too so its a double edge sword. IF it is a close fight they could do 1 in the US AND 1 in the UK.

As for the weekend fights. Loved Katie Taylor 9 fights in and 2 world titles so far the woman has all the shots in the world. Shame its only a 2 minute rounds as if it was 3 minute rounds she would have more kos than she has so far.
Big Baby all talk not up to World level even after the win.
Jacobs was in a good fight will he get the better of GGG I am highly doubtful doesnt seem to have gone on compared to other fights.

As for the weekend ahead Haye by KO.

We will have to endure more deluded scouse pride at the weekend hopefully until Haye sparks Bellew flat out. It's almost as if he and those deluded Liverpuddled ones think it means nothing when a fighter comes out overreaching with every punch from the first bell... almost as if there there was something wrong with one of his legs, who then sustains a "freak injury" to one of his legs and ended up hobbling on one leg for the rest of the fight.

Just like the help from referee in the CL the scouse reasoning is again along the lines of: "nah battered you mate didn't land a glove on me/shots on target most important stat la".

Bellew taking so long to get the stoppage(not even a knockout) has been spun into a positive, he'll be more impressive because Haye wont be in survival mode leaning on the ropes like last time(he wanted the guy on one leg to chase him around the ring?).

If Haye is fit he wins 10 times out of 10, Bellew couldn't knock him out on one leg overreaching and off balance with every punch he threw, so how he thinks anyone's buying the idea his chances are better for an earlier stoppage against a fit and healthy Haye I don't know.

I'm surprised Bellew took the rematch, he's not tasted Haye's power and he knows it, all he got was arm punches with no leverage on them and even then he looked shit scared of taking any which is why it took so long for the stoppage to come. Bellew can only be doing it for the money himself(he clearly doesn't care if he gets sparked out) which makes all his talk about Haye's only in it for the money a bit rich.

If Haye is fit he wins 10 times out of 10, Bellew couldn't knock him out on one leg overreaching and off balance with every punch he threw, so how he thinks anyone's buying the idea his chances are better for an earlier stoppage against a fit and healthy Haye I don't know.
Watched the 'Gloves are Off' earlier. Bellew was really getting under Haye's skin. Haye looked close to tears at time. Either Haye is being really humble given what happened last time, or he is genuinely worried about Bellew

Watched the 'Gloves are Off' earlier. Bellew was really getting under Haye's skin. Haye looked close to tears at time. Either Haye is being really humble given what happened last time, or he is genuinely worried about Bellew
I've seen the press conference, it's only when the loss comes up or the money angle(he does need the cash), he's seething about the events of the first fight, a loss is a loss whether you were injured or not it will be in the history books the injury will be glossed over that's nothing to do with Bellew getting in his head.

Bellew is looking increasingly frustrated to me, in the press conference immediately after Haye finished his bit Bellew was looking down into his own lap deep in thought, as if he was bothered none of his interruptions got the same reactions this time(he's not been biting). He doesn't like the quiet and humble version, I've also seen some footage of Haye training and his footwork is looking very sharp, which is bad news for Tony. Maybe Bellew has seen this too and feels he needs any sort of mental edge he can get. Then again you can make yourself look good in short clips I suppose, maybe his body is crocked long term as far as his fighting days are concerned as the rumours Bellew got wind of last time suggested. I think he has recovered physically and got himself in fighting shape for this looking at the training vids out there personally but how long will that last? If he gets another injury in this fight then it truly is over for him.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch Ultimate boxxer last weekend? Obviously some production issues from the first show but really enjoyed the fights some good match ups and it helped all boxers had unbeaten records, even though theyve been beaten they will have gained so much more exposure than if they had kept fighting journeymen on small hall shows. I actually thought Kaisee Benjamin looked really classy but he was beaten in the first fight, the 3 round format certainly didnt suit him. The eventual winner Ben Drew also looked really good calm and composed under pressure. Looking forward to the next one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.