The Boxing thread

As for Tony mentioning blokes who prance around in tights in his post ffs well if that is 'fighting' then I guess boxing is fucked.
I'm sorry mate but I know it's all scripted, ofc, I'm not an idiot, however, they take harder punishment than many ' real ' fighters. Day in day out, at least two thirds of the days of a year. boxers and MMA take months off between fights. And it's funny in between!! Ask pudge and damo!!

I'm sorry mate but I know it's all scripted, ofc, I'm not an idiot, however, they take harder punishment than many ' real ' fighters. Day in day out, at least two thirds of the days of a year. boxers and MMA take months off between fights. And it's funny in between!! Ask pudge and damo!!

I dont mind WWE, I have respect for the entertainment and the performers, but its more like a soap opera than a sport, to mention it on a boxing thread is just wrong mate.

You look at some starting out in the pro ranks now in the UK and there are some interesting fighters out there.

Look at Nigel Benns young son Conor Benn if he is as half as good as his old man he is going to be a fighter to look at. His Dad seems to think he has it all to do it in the pro game and be as good as him if not better.
Andrew Selby Lees younger brother again rave reviews for this guy and he has natural boxing talent. I be weary to see if he has the pro style but his am days he was brilliant to watch.
Also this weekend my tip to be a future World Champion from Ireland Tommy McCarthy takes on Jon Lewis Dickenson up on the Burns undercard. Tommy boxed 8 times winning all with 5 kos. Looks a solid fighter in the ams and more suited to the pro ranks.

Ryan Burnett too over here I honestly feel he will be knocking on fighting for World titles this time next year so talented the best am from Ireland to turn pro yet. All these guys you will see live on Sky or Channel 5 with Selby in the coming weeks check them out.

Well that sounds promising and i will give them a watch.

It is possible as a kid and there only being a few tv stations that the captive audience thing helped and simply being a kid everything is bigger and better. I remember the whole family watching Benn v Eubank for example, even my gran.
Maybe society has changed a bit and with all the other stuff now bombarding us the voice of boxing gets drowned out a little.
I did used to enjoy that, one of the few things we did as a family as it happens hehe.

Well that sounds promising and i will give them a watch.

It is possible as a kid and there only being a few tv stations that the captive audience thing helped and simply being a kid everything is bigger and better. I remember the whole family watching Benn v Eubank for example, even my gran.
Maybe society has changed a bit and with all the other stuff now bombarding us the voice of boxing gets drowned out a little.
I did used to enjoy that, one of the few things we did as a family as it happens hehe.

This is true but its also wrong. Whilst the big fights, especially domestic ones, on ITV back in the day everyone got to see, for boxing fans, the sport is much more accessible on TV than ever before. Much like football is, you get to see 4 matches a weekend, when ITV had it back then it was what 15 games a season??

There is nothing stopping a whole family getting together and paying £15 to watch a big fight if they really wanted to.

What I would have given back in the 80s to have had regular access to the fights of Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard, we only got to see them once in a bluemoon, these fights if they were now now would have been screened on cable TV in the early hours (let alone streams).

I dont mind WWE, I have respect for the entertainment and the performers, but its more like a soap opera than a sport, to mention it on a boxing thread is just wrong mate.
MMA and boxing are taking leaves out of wrestling, it's all about selling the fight. The winner in wrestling is usually determined, granted, but it's more about how they get there. Certainly agree it's now more entertaining than sport. You check out most boxers, all mouth then knocked out in a few rounds. The art is dead. No dancing like Ali, no killer punch, Manchester Mexican was a gimmick. Even fury is slow. Boxing just isn't exciting atm man. My humble opinion mate.

MMA and boxing are taking leaves out of wrestling, it's all about selling the fight. The winner in wrestling is usually determined, granted, but it's more about how they get there. Certainly agree it's now more entertaining than sport. You check out most boxers, all mouth then knocked out in a few rounds. The art is dead. No dancing like Ali, no killer punch, Manchester Mexican was a gimmick. Even fury is slow. Boxing just isn't exciting atm man. My humble opinion mate.

Its a matter of taste whether you think WWE is more entertaining. I think you should compare it to Coronation Street rather than Boxing though, as you are comparing apples and oranges when mentioning on a boxing thread. WWE is scripted, sport isnt.

I think trash talking to sell a fight was around in boxing before WWE was in existence, so you are talking bollocks there.

As for your comments on boxers, you are limiting it to Ali, Hatton both a long time retired now and Fury, who is a constant source of embarrassment to himself and boxing fans, he isnt even in the top 20 pound for pound boxers in the world. Its like me slagging off WWE and citing Hulk Hogan, the British Bulldog and Big Show as examples of why its shit. There are some fantastic boxers out there right now Gonzalez, GGG, Kovalev, Ward, Rigondeaux, Canello, Crawford just because they arent known to the wider population doesnt make them any less skillful or any less concussive with their punch power. Britain has more world champions (there are too many belts but you should like that as there are loads in WWE) than any other nation, and a whole new batch of youngsters coming through as well. Boxing is a truly world wide sport, watched and participated in by every corner of the planet.

A lot of the fighters now are all over the Twitter these days making fights or trying to make fights. Quigg v Frampton was a twitter war at times for the best part of a year or more. Also looking into it more it seems to be the thing. Nag a fighter so much and you get the fight sooner or later. The talent is there a lot of people say Cuban boxing is the best in the world at producing fighters but I look at Uk and say wow they got some talent and even Ireland too has the talent you will have some talented guys turning pro after Rio to watch.

Haha Crawford is my own surname :-)

I appreciate what the boxers do, they put them selves through the ringer, so do wrestlers. I've got a punch bag at home, few rounds with some tunes and I am knackered. Don't really know what the point is here!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.