The Boxing thread

He missed a shitload though and you did say landing at will... sorry but I had to call you out on that because that's laughable... the middle rounds he had success I agree on that(landing at will is stretching it though) but first 3-4 and the last 3 where nothing like you say.

Yeah we can agree to disagree, I think I've been clear on how I score rounds and I understand other people score differently but I think people are overreacting at the draw big time. That judges card for Canelo aside(that is a head scratcher) nobody walked away with that by a long shot. :)

I'll watch it again anyway as I normally do, maybe I will see it differently but I doubt it, I even muted the commentary diliberately in parts.

How can you put that 'aside'. That was the difference between correct outcome and daylight robbery.

The only robbery was the judge giving Canelo 118, the draw might have been slightly harsh on GGG but no great injustice like some are making out.

I have no complaints about the draw. I had Canelo winning 3 of the first 4 rounds and the last 3 rounds, with GGG bossing the middle stages.

However, Byrd needs sectioning after that 118-110 card. Or at sacked at a minimum. That's a joke.

Thought it was a great fight - thought Canelo's defence was very good in the face of GGG's relentless pressure, but I think a lot of GGG's work was also nullified and not connecting flush, which is why I don't always compare to the likes of Compubox. Canelo was landing the more eye-catching shots all night. His chin also impressed me as GGG still caught him a few times.

GGGs face was more of a mess at the end, but I think its his granite chin that helps him more than his power as he just walks through shots. It's incredible.

Very happy to see a rematch, which I feel Canelo will win as it'll be another year down the line and he'll be aware of how he slipped in the mid-stages of the fight.

Good fight overall but the main action wasn't sustained enough for long enough periods for it to go down as a classic. Two top level fighters with utmost respect for each other's firepower I suspect played a major factor in the action never quite exploding.

Canelo definitely landed the cleaner single shots that you remember, but spent far too much time obviously on the retreat for him to ever look like he was in control of the fight. Likewise Golovkin was purely forward momentum all night long without ever quite being able to detonate his heaviest artillery on a defensive minded target with good lateral movement and clever movement on the ropes. If you're looking for a factor to separate the two of them across the whole fight then it has to be GGG's jab, same with his last fight with Jacobs. His power shots were fleeting in success but his jab landed consistently throughout the fight and for me that helped him to just about keep his nose in front for the majority of the fight.

I gave Canelo 2 of the first 3 and the last 2, so overall 116-112 for Canelo, though that's not necessarily a cast-iron scorecard and I can definitely appreciate that Canelo's counters will have impressed a lot of people. IN the middle portion of the fight though, through 4-10 he pretty much gave the initiative to GGG by being so obviously on the retreat and languishing on the ropes too much. Though GGG wasn't able to blast through Canelo in those moments he still had command of the fight with the jab and threw enough meaningful leather and was able to back Canelo into the corners and keep him honest.

Good fight but not quite the blockbuster I think most expected. No massive arguments with a draw.

Another sad blow for boxing in North american. No wonder the good heavyweight fights have all been in Europe will the absurd decisions you get there and gifts for the home fighters.

Adalaide Byrd does a Eugenia Williams.

Closest I scored it was 8-4 GGG.
GGG clearly won, can't see a case for Canelo at all. You can't win a fight fighting and spurts and for the most part lying on the ropes defending. Look how the media scored it.

Bryan Graham (Guardian UK) ------------> 116-112 GGG
Dan Rafael (ESPN) ------------------------> 116-112 GGG
Bob Velin (USA Today) --------------------> 116-112 GGG
Kevin McRae (Bleacher Report) -----------> 116-112 GGG
Shaun Al-Shatti (MMA Fighting) ----------> 116-112 GGG
Ryan Frederick (Wrestling Observer) ----> 116-112 GGG
Patrick Stumberg (MMA Mania) ----------> 116-112 GGG
Kevin Mitchell (Guardian UK) ------------> 116-113 GGG
Jordan Breen (Sherdog) ------------------> 115-112 GGG
Kevin Iole (Yahoo) ------------------------> 115-113 GGG
Will Esco (Bad Left Hook) -----------------> 115-113 GGG
Phil Murphy (ESPN) -----------------------> 115-113 GGG
Mike Harris (SI) ---------------------------> 115-113 GGG
Paul Fontaine (Wrestling Observer) ------> 115-113 GGG
MMA Brazil ---------------------------------> 115-113 GGG
Sean Sheehan (Severe MMA) -------------> 115-113 GGG
Rob Tatum (Combat Press) ----------------> 115-113 GGG
Patrick Wyman (Bleacher Report) ---------> 115-113 GGG
Lennox Lewis ------------------------------> Golovkin
Teddy Atlas --------------------------------> Golovkin
Enzo Macarenelli ---------------------------> Golovkin
James Brady (SB Nation) ------------------> Golovkin
Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News) ----> 114-114 Draw
Gilbert Manzano (Denver Post) -----------> 114-114 Draw
Boxing Clever (Seen) ---------------------> 114-114 Draw
Associated Press --------------------------> 114-114 Draw
Lance Pugmire (LA Times) ----------------> 114-114 Draw
Chris Mannix (Yahoo) ---------------------> 114-114 Draw
Gareth Davies (UK Telegraph) -----------> 116-112 Canelo

Seems like the vast amount of people agree with the GGG win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.