The end of Page 3 girls

Chris in London said:
The reason for starting this thread was that the issues raised by it seem to me to be exactly the same, in terms of the limits society imposes on a free press, as are raised by the Paris shootings. I watched the treatment of the page 3 issue on Newsnight last night, however, and listened to further repayment of it on the radio this morning, and was struck by the difference in 'narrative' between the two stories.

In dealing with page 3 issues, the overwhelming sense I got was that ending topless page 3 shots was a good thing because the images published were offensive (to some), and I heard very little about the press's right to publish offensive things. There was however a lot about 'objectifying' and 'degrading'. During the reaction to the Paris shootings I heard an awful lot about the Press's right to publish offensive things and a lot less about the offensive nature (to some) of the images published. There was however a lot about 'liberties' and 'principles'.

There are of course cogent arguments that can be made either way in each case - the inconsistency between the ways in which the same issues were presented in different contexts was what struck me.
Great point.

With sales down over a million this is just a bit of much needed publicity and in a year or so we'll have ... 'PAGE 3 IS BACK!'' Trending on Twitter and other media crap.

If they are getting rid of page 3 can they please get rid of the hollister bags with topless boys on which 13 yr old girls carry around at school. If women want it equal then so do men

Mcfc_nathan_ said:
If they are getting rid of page 3 can they please get rid of the hollister bags with topless boys on which 13 yr old girls carry around at school. If women want it equal then so do men
My grandaughter has a picture on her wall of that irritating, talentless little jerk Justin Bieber, shirtless, with his thumbs dragging down his pants almost to his gonads. I've told her that, at 38, she needs to mature a bit.

Ancient Citizen said:
Mcfc_nathan_ said:
My grandaughter has a picture on her wall of that irritating, talentless little jerk Justin Bieber, shirtless, with his thumbs dragging down his pants almost to his gonads. I've told her that, at 38, she needs to mature a bit.

She probably needs a visit from operation Yewtree if that's what she's into.

aguero93:20 said:
Ancient Citizen said:
Mcfc_nathan_ said:

She probably needs a visit from operation Yewtree if that's what she's into.
(Only joking about her age, she's 15 ;)

_69445694_69443287.jpg

This MP now wants to ban pictures of women in Bikinis.

The same MP calling for boys to play with dolls to become more caring....

foxy said:
_69445694_69443287.jpg

This MP now wants to ban pictures of women in Bikinis.

The same MP calling for boys to play with dolls to become more caring....

I'd quite happily vote to ban pictures of her in anything other than a burkha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.