"The End of the World?" - new article on the blog now

Ah, one defeat after winning 9 in a row and instead of talking about the old days, hooliganism or kits it's back to football and criticism. Besides, that was a post that could have easily gone on here rather than being a blog.

I actually agree on the selections although again you forget to mention the very strong rumours that Lescott had sore knees in Munich. The full-back issue is a bit strange to be honest. I can only think of two things as to why he rotates them every game; the first is he believes he has 4 excellent full backs and the second is that Mancini sees winning the league as far more important than the Champions league or domestic cups. There is an element of truth to both of them and I for one am with him in sacrificing every cup in favour of the league.

Didsbury Dave said:
I have to take issue with some of that. I said in the blog that Zabaleta did find himself in space on that flank. But he isn't quick enough or a good enough footballer to use the width properly. He stops, puts his foot on it and comes inside.

Maybe I was too simplistic when I said "no width" in the post above.

Zabaleta can no more open a defence than i can open a can of beans with my flaccid member.

Must admit I am with the previous poster in thinking that Zab got the space but not the ball too often. I think he can and does cross well at times. Crossed the last minute winner against Villareal for starters.

also can't see how winning the carling cup in Feb would negatively effect our premier league campaign - 3 matches to win a trophy after all (our 2nd in 35 years)....to suggest sacking this off at this stage is pure nonsense and smacks of someone who has forgotten where we have come from....

jay_mcfc said:
Ah, one defeat after winning 9 in a row and instead of talking about the old days, hooliganism or kits it's back to football and criticism. Besides, that was a post that could have easily gone on here rather than being a blog.

Sorry, can you clarify this part of your post before I respond.

nicko said:
also can't see how winning the carling cup in Feb would negatively effect our premier league campaign - 3 matches to win a trophy after all (our 2nd in 35 years)....to suggest sacking this off at this stage is pure nonsense and smacks of someone who has forgotten where we have come from....

Indeed. It was noticeable how Mourinho kept going on about Chelsea trying to win all 4 trophies in his first season. In the end they didnt but by the time they'd been knocked out of the CL and FA Cup they were well on the way to sowing up the league. It was all about building that winning mentality. Getting knocked out of a cup is always a major downer. And the fewer trophies you're competing for the greater is the pressure to win the ones you're in. In reality the league maybe the be all and end all but Mancini shouldnt be allowing the players to believe that.

nicko said:

Haha, I remember where we've come from alright. But as Ian brown once said, It's not where your from, it's where you're at. And the extra games that the carling and Europa league give you can affect your title chances. And we have an enormous chance now to win the clubs third league championship, and to paraphrase someone who's been there, knock man united right off their
Fucking perch. I'd sacrifice all three cups in a heartbeat for that .

Of course I'd be there and delighted to win either, but don't underestimate what a seismic leap the title would be for our club. Last year the top four was the step we were ready for, and
Needed, to take. This year it's the big one. The boost and momentum it would give our club would be immeasurable.

I believe it would make us unstoppable

jay_mcfc said:

I actually agree on the selections although again you forget to mention the very strong rumours that Lescott had sore knees in Munich. The full-back issue is a bit strange to be honest. I can only think of two things as to why he rotates them every game; the first is he believes he has 4 excellent full backs and the second is that Mancini sees winning the league as far more important than the Champions league or domestic cups. There is an element of truth to both of them and I for one am with him in sacrificing every cup in favour of the league.

I think that this clouts the nail. Mancini has gone on record as giving the Title top priority and that is the only way to explain his team selection.

He took a gamble and lost, but long-term it may turn out to have been the right decision. We need that Title and have a much better chance at it than the Champ's league even if we had won last night.

For me, the main lesson from last night was the importance of pacey wide-men, whether wingers or full-backs, to our attack. At the moment, Clichy and Richards are our only choices and we need more players of this type. We were much easier to play against, with so much width being ignored. DD made this point well.

In previous posts, I have made the point which has been raised on this thread re. the lack of vision to the wings. Over and over again we see it and it frustrates me, so Lord knows what it does to our wide players.

Can we just move on please.I was angry and dissapointed last night but ask me 10 yrs ago and I would have took where we are right now.

Bring on the dippers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.