The Jam

legmister said:
saw them 1977 blackburn kings hall, about 500 people, the support band was The Vapours who had a no 2 hit called I THINK IAM TURNING JAPENEESE which if my memory serves right was about the face you pull when your about to shoot ur load

God, I remember that.

Never knew it was referring to that though. ;-)

Great stuff this, The Jam= the greatest. All Mod Cons phew what can i say. My first Jam gig was Salford Uni. 1977 still got the programme and back stage pass etc. Was at Blackburn as well with 2 other blues. Nearly got into a scrap in a pub before because the locals thought we were scousers, must be the Gorton accent!! Saddleworth was great in the big tent and the buses laid on by the council after. Still go to the weller gigs now kin ace. Remember going to the away games in the Jam gear, big crew from Gorton and Levy!! WOW Found Myself in a Strange Town.... Ancoats and Mackenzie awesome stuff.

Welcome to the board!

I remember when Setting Sons came out....probably not their greatest album but I just remember waiting for it with so much expectation. When I listened to it the first time I just knew that this band had moved on and were turning into the finished article. Even now I can remember my pure pride and appreciation of their talent.

It was a watershed in my feelings toward them....knew then I was in for the long haul and that I would probably never be the same again. They were growing up and so was I. It was a bit uncanny in a way. A year in the life of a teenager brings profound changes in outlook and they mirrored that so perfectly in the way they were progressing.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRwr8b47_ug&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRwr8b47 ... re=related</a>

Man in Corner Shop

For a social commentary at that time.....nobody could really touch them.

And this

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSYTSXm8wo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSYTSXm8wo</a>

Going Underground

Energy, anger and intelligence.

I always found it strange how the Clash were the ones who made it in the States. I like some Clash stuff but they didn't hold a candle to the Jam. Maybe Weller never wanted to make it in the states, it certaintly adds to their mystique over here at least for those of us who are fans.

Knight1979 said:
I always found it strange how the Clash were the ones who made it in the States. I like some Clash stuff but they didn't hold a candle to the Jam. Maybe Weller never wanted to make it in the states, it certaintly adds to their mystique over here at least for those of us who are fans.

I think The Jam were very "British" though.

How did you get to know about them if you don't mind me asking?

Its a pleasure to be on board. Same as you they just mirrored what was happening to me and what i was into. 17 in 1977 football, music and girls. THE JAM.

mackenzie said:
Knight1979 said:

I think The Jam were very "British" though.

How did you get to know about them if you don't mind me asking?

Oh geez...well I'm in my late 20's so they were before my time. I really got into the Smiths when I was in my early teens from my friend's older brother, then it just snowballed into checking out all sorts of English music, I guess I worked my way backwards a bit. I love all sorts of punk/post punk from the US and UK. Funny though, when the Libertines came onto the scene, they did kind of remind of a modern Jam on heroin. I always respected the fact that they stayed, "very british" at the expense of possibly having more success in other parts of the world. Anyone who knows about them here though, loves them. You won't find a yank who knows of them say, "yea they were okay I guess".

Knight1979 said:

the jam are bigger over the pond now than back in the day

on a bootleg site that am on
they are a lot of fans from the usa
and say the jam were big over here but never got the press or tv
that the other bands got

and played alot of wrong venues with them being the supporting act
to heavy rock bands

and last year weller sold out 3 night in NYC and was billed as
doing the jam songs one night and the TSC the next and solo on the last night

but weller kick off about it and did is own set each night

how much could weller make if he got the jam back together for a world tour

millions and millions me thinks

the jam are bigger over the pond now than back in the day

I wouldn't know because I wasn't around back in the day, but I would say you are probably right on the money. Kids have so much easier access to information now, its easier to trace back the influences of the bands they like now. I think if a group like Television got back together and did a tour now they would do a hell of a lot better than they did in the 70's. You could probably say that for a lot of groups.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.