The Spring Budget 2017

I'm not an accountant mate, but I thought you could claim capital allowances on a car used for business purposes? Anyway, it matters not, and is off topic.

This thread is about the budget and the NI increase, so I'll say no more.
HMRC watch like a hawk, that's all I'll say!

It's pertinent to the thread, though. We're talking about the increased tax liability for a certain group of people and how it compares to the rest of us.

I agree the Ltd route is beneficial, but it isn't tens of thousands of pounds difference and there are other associated costs such as accountancy fees, insurance etc..

People need to choose the type of employment that suits them best, but "levelling" the tax systems between them will open up a can of worms similar to the private/public sector argument.

HMRC watch like a hawk, that's all I'll say!

It's pertinent to the thread, though. We're talking about the increased tax liability for a certain group of people and how it compares to the rest of us.

I agree the Ltd route is beneficial, but it isn't tens of thousands of pounds difference and there are other associated costs such as accountancy fees, insurance etc..

People need to choose the type of employment that suits them best, but "levelling" the tax systems between them will open up a can of worms similar to the private/public sector argument.

I agree we don't need to be levelling them, since the risks and rewards are completely different and we want to encourage small businesses too. We just need to keep an eye on whether the delta is sensible imho, that's all.

I'm not an accountant mate, but I thought you could claim capital allowances on a car used for business purposes? Anyway, it matters not, and is off topic.

This thread is about the budget and the NI increase, so I'll say no more.

That is correct and when I ran my own vehicle I believe it was aound 10% per annum.
It's final value could be offset when disposed of.
It was never a perk but more a depreciating asset or loss factored into the business model.

Now because of illness I only work part time at weekend.
I work as a jockey and drive other peoples vehicles as running a taxi of my own is no longer viable.

What's a cretin Chippie ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct and when I ran my own vehicle I believe it was aound 10% per annum.
It's final value could be offset when disposed of.
It was never a perk but more a depreciating asset or loss factored into the business model.

Now because of illness I only work part time at weekend.
I work as a jockey and drive other peoples vehicles as running a taxi of my own is no longer viable.

What's a cretin Chippie ?

Yes, you can put vehicles through the company, but it's advisable now to run this past an accountant. I got the impression from mine that it's rarely beneficial these days. I was really responding to Chippy's comment that there's an easy way to put an expensive car on the books and be much better off than buying it the normal way, when I doubt that's the case any more. If I ever earn enough to consider a £75k car, I'll look into it, though !

I've never thanked my self employed mates for any of that I thought they were doing it to earn money, if I had known it was all for the good of country I might have. In fact I will give them a bell tomorrow but will leave it til tea time as they're usually busy doing cash in hand jobs on a Saturday.

Recently we have had

Nurses care
Coppers care
Fireman care
Teachers care
Train guards care
And now the self employed are like mother theresa

It's like whatever profession is in the news the guys that do that job feel the need to pretend they're the equivalent of a modern day Jesus. It's all about the green folks don't kid a kidder.

We are all little angels at heart and folks should be grateful.....:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.