The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Wasn’t we the last ones to sign up to this, which suggests City were conflicted about it from the start and felt pressured to sign. I don’t think this is sitting well with our owners at the moment according to a few articles I have read.
Supposedly both us and Chelsea were the last to get an invite and were reluctant but of course we still signed up.

This is why the first thing the breakaway 5 did in 1991 was line up ITV and then Sky to broadcast.

I think its incredibly unlikely they have gotten this far in the breakaway without several broadcasters backing them and they're probably waiting for the worst of the backlash to subside before finalising and having am auction.
I'm absolutely sure that's true. I am just wondering whether there's an opportunity perhaps to scupper it. I dunno, TV companies like everyone else are greedy and self-centred.

Lots of misinformation floating about, there's a few things to consider.

1. City are not leaving the Premierleague (unless thrown out which is highly unlikely).
2. The UEFA CL will still exist.
3. We're quitting the UEFA competition and swapping to ESL (don't recall United being persecuted for trying the European cup).
4. The ESL clubs have already submitted court orders against the "blockers" of this idea, like FIFA & UEFA.

All this City must turn back will not happen. I don't like the closed shop idea either, but one by one the big clubs will arrive in the ESL (Bayern/PSG etc) and the CL will wither on the vine.

agree lot of emotions understandable but you look at it coldly where it will go and what the uefa new revamped shite champ league looks like something needs changing! The closed shop though is the only disgrace..

This is why the first thing the breakaway 5 did in 1991 was line up ITV and then Sky to broadcast.

I think its incredibly unlikely they have gotten this far in the breakaway without several broadcasters backing them and they're probably waiting for the worst of the backlash to subside before finalising and having am auction.
This is a bit more than a backlash. More like a flat out rejection. In addition the damage is already done. Hands in the fire and all that.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a walk back from City next couple days, much as I thought it impossible.

Uefa were speaking to us yesterday and it sounds like we may have been offered something to break away from the breakaway.

Football politics, eh?

Also, keep an eye on Infantino. We are much more closely aligned to him and even discussed a Super League of sorts with him which would have seen Soft Bank put up the funds, a firm Abu Dhabi has a big stake in.

That all seems reasonable. We've heard the rumours for years that a ESL was in the offing and we know who have been planning it. UEFA and the Premier League will know too. They have rushed for the cudgels but I bet at the same time they are trying to split the 12. There's a core group: MUFC, LFC, Arsenal, Juve and Real Madrid? And then there are the clubs like City who you would want in such a league. Split them up. That's what I would do if I was UEFA. I'd also be in dialogue with them all once I had moved by big guns to the front line. No one wants war.

I'd almost be more annoyed if they did a U turn.

The one thing I expect is that Khaldoon, Soriano and co. Wouldn't make this decision lightly. They'd do their research, know how unpopular it was (everyone should have known this after the reaction to project restart), try to avoid it if possible, but ultimately come to the conclusion its happening and in the best interests of the club to be on the inside of the breakaway and pull the trigger.

For them to back out 2 days later and say "whoopsie daisy! Maybe we didn't think this through" Would make me question their ability to run the club long term.
Very much this

I've never been sure what our relationship with UEFA has been if we're looking for a simplistic narrative. I think it's complicated and tempestuous. From the outside I would say that City have a fairly cordial relationship with Aleks Ceferin. The difficulties with the organisation appear to have been motivated by pressure being applied by the people with whom we now find ourselves in alliance.
There's multiple parts to UEFA. There's the Secretariat - Ceferin and the employees - the national leagues and the clubs. Within the latter two, there's the powerful national leagues and others and likewise for the clubs, with the old G14 lording it over the other European clubs. So a lot of vested interests vying against each other.

I don't envy anyone in Ceferin's position, who has to try to keep all those competing forces in balance. The big clubs bring him his revenue so tend to have the loudest voices but inevitably and eventually, appeasing them season after season will just lead to them demanding more. Then, as we're seeing now, they'll ditch you when they think it's in their interests to do so.

I've said it before that Ceferin is probably our friend, in as much as he wants to keep everyone happy as far as possible. I believe he tried to stop the FFP shit but (again) a breakaway was threatened by our enemies. Maybe the CAS case was actually the catalyst for this ESL. The timing certainly fits.

I'm now even wondering if we're playing a long game in this, possibly working with Ceferin.

Maybe hopelessly optimistic but I wonder if we've fluttered our eyelashes at the breakaway group, understood their plans, suckered them in, then betrayed them by leaking the Super League plans and then we'll pull out, leaving them isolated, maybe even out of their national leagues and international outcasts. The PL needs 15 clubs to agree something as major as expulsion so 6 clubs in the ESL renders that path impossible. But if we were to withdraw, maybe Chelsea too, then a majority vote that sees the US-owned clubs outside the PL is obviously achievable. It would be stunning revenge.

But, as I say, maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic.

But then we could have done that without signing up. We could have got this to a point where we verbally committed but then walked away. That would have been a PR master stroke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.