The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be pessimistic isn’t definitively the human condition. We are all different in that respect at least.

It’s this deployment of the word ‘realism’ from those of a pessimistic disposition that especially gets on my tits, because their perspective goes against the weight of experience in recent years.So they don’t have a monopoly on reality, just their own perception of it.

And I haven’t stridently predicted we will win it, just that we can and imo it’s likely we will. That doesn’t make me blindly optimistic, just applying common sense and experience to the equation.
Humans are psychologically wired to expect the worst-case scenario. It is a defence/survival mechanism.
Peeps need to rationalise their fear of failure.
Just humans doing human!

Humans are psychologically wired to expect the worst-case scenario. It is a defence/survival mechanism.
Peeps need to rationalise their fear of failure.
Just humans doing human!
I don’t agree. Plenty of people are inveterate risk takers who think that everything will work out fine, or come good in the end. They often take irrational risks because they assume that those risks will bear fruit. If humans were exclusively psychologically wired to expect the worst case scenario then no one would gamble, for example.

12 months ago today we drew at Forest and the doom merchants were out in force. Not promising this season will have the same outcome but way too soon to be coming to conclusions now with the inevitable twists and turns still to come.
Absolutely!

We've been here many times now, so anyone flapping and mithering needs to gird their cojones (or else whatever it is that the ladies gird!) and get a grip.

I posted the following in January 2019 when we were in a worse position than now. It's still relevant today and that season turned out all right I think!:

"Taking out the odd international commitments the squad has, as far as the Premiership is concerned we are now in a 14 game season. I know we're 5 points adrift but that equates to a 2-game shift for us to take over Liverpool. If Pep, his team and the squad get their individual and collective acts together (please! no more 'Newcastles', lads!), anything can happen, especially if The Anfield Road Formation Brick Throwing Society continues to run into pesky, insurmountable obstacles such as long grass, snow on the pitch, goalkeepers who refuse to throw the ball into their own nets and so on..

As for the domestic cup competitions, well, we have a one-off final due and potentially 4 FA cup ties to win that trophy. That would be 19 games between now and 18 May, 15 weeks from now. Just over 1 game per week on average. Add in the Champions League, a run of 7 games to the final on 1 June would change that to 26 games in 19 weeks, or 1.5 games per week on average.

Keep the players fit, get them ticking over like last season and, as I said above, anything can happen.

It will be tough and demanding on the squad but anything can happen.

But most of all, we never should never give up on the title until it's over. And that's 'never' as in 'ever'.."

Last edited:
We absolutely can not lose at anfield.
If they beat us, they will win the league
Even a draw would leave it out of our hands. That's the main pisser from yesterday. Before kick off, we knew that if we matched the cultists' results up to the game at Anfield, a draw would have been fine. Not now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.