The Torino - Man City link....

I was wrong - his brother Joe Baker played for Torino.
St. Mirrens were unable to defend the trophy the following season, but Gerry did earn huge headlines after he scored ten goals in the Paisley club's 15-0 demolition of Glasgow University in one of the early rounds. He was Saints top scorer in both 1958-59 and 1959-60, scoring 66 goals in 81 appearances, before he returned to England, with Manchester City, who paid £17,000 for his signature.
The interesting thing is that Torino signed Denis Law from City and also signed Joe Baker from Hibernian presumably to keep him company.

Hibernian then signed Gerry Baker from City as a replacement for Joe.

Both Joe and Gerry were as Scottish as they come but Joe played internationally for England (he was born in Liverpool) and Gerry (born in New York) played for the USA. Their father was in the merchant navy!

CFG takeover on the cards anyone? ;)

Only joking, some good info here, I'm surprised more of us didn't see the Turin derby similarity's either.

2jd16x4.jpg
team page from the programme for the 1961 friendly. Denis playing for Torino.
The Baker brothers playing against each other.

2jd16x4.jpg
team page from the programme for the 1961 friendly. Denis playing for Torino.
The Baker brothers playing against each other.
Remember it well, seems like yesterday. I have written before that my abiding memory of the game was a high bouncing ball just outside of our box and the Turin forwards suddenly becoming invisible as the charging Big Dave cleared a path to the ball. Absolutely no finesse about Big Dave.
Regarding the Denis transfer I absolutely hated the agent that took him away from us. I think it was Gigi Peronace, the top man at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.