The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty said:
THFC6061 said:
mancboy123 said:
Your equating someone being brought back round after suffering heart failure to the long and short term effects of a head injury really. There is well documented evidence on what you should do should someone suffer cardiac arrest their is no such data to show what the course of action is should someone suffer a head injury but in any other sport a head injury results in immediate removal from the game. he should have been removed from the game and your attempts to justify the actions of the spurs medical team is reprehensible if it was a member of your family who had recieved a blow to the head would you be happy for them to play on in an inconsequential football match on medical advice or would you want them to be removed from all risk asap.

Why was there none of this fuss when Everton's Romelu Lukaku carried on playing after suffering concussion after scoring against West Ham United earlier this season?

Or the countless other examples where a similar thing has happened?

Then there should have been the same amount of fuss. Any player who loses conciousness due to a blow to the head simply shouldn't be allowed to continue. It's impossible to see what damage has been done internally to the head without a thorough examination, far more thorough than the ones able to be carried out by a physio on the pitch. Lloris should have been removed, as should Huth against us, Lukaku against (I think) Villa, Kompany playign for Belgium, and, I believe, Townsend also for you at some point. Simply stating that there's no guidelines so therefore no-one has done anything wrong is hiding behind red tape, the medical professionals should know the dangers. The player has been smashed in the head so hard they've lost concsiousness, there's no way in any other profession a doctor would say, on the employee coming round, right, up you get, time to get back to work.

-- Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:32 pm --

manimanc said:
anyway enough of all this childish, playground stuff,who do tottingham play in the CH5 cup on Thursday??

The finest team Moldova can provide, Sheriff Tiraspol.

A good opportunity for some of our youngsters to get a run-out, as we're pretty well assured of progress to the knock-out stage already.

THFC6061 said:
ksf42001 said:
Honestly, with the Lloris situation, it never should have never been his decision to make whether he stayed on the field or not. He's obviously going to fight to stay on the field, and it's obvious the manager isn't likely to be doing any kind of long-term thinking in the heat of a match either.

That leaves the physio. Right now, the physio's job to do everything possible to make sure the player gets back on the field as quickly as possible. At the same time though, they need the power (and directive) to protect the player from themselves and be the final decision maker, even above the manager, when a head injury is involved. This type of action is starting to be implemented in some US sports, though there have been clear instances when the spirit/letter of the rules have been violated.

I'm more surprised though that this became big news at all, since the isn't the first instance of a playing losing consciousness in a match and continuing to play this year. The Stoke defender was out cold against City and Lukaku himself doesn't remember a goal from earlier in the year. It'll be interesting how many more incidents will have to occur before actual action is taken...

I agree with what you say, but it was the Spurs medical team who made the decision for Lloris to continue on Sunday, not AVB or the player himself.

And as they are the same medical team who saved Fabrice Muamba's life not so long ago, I think they have a good idea of what they're doing.

Whether or not there should be a mandatory replacement for players with concussion is another matter entirely.

Wow, I wasn't actually attacking Spurs in general, as I openly stated similar incidents to other players on other teams. This is a sport-wide issue that'll have to be addressed sooner or later. Hopefully sooner, but i'm not optimistic on that.

Since you do apparently want to specifically defend Spurs though, please stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Spurs was wrong in this case. It's great that they saved Muamba's life, but they failed Lloris here. The problem is that they may not know if there are longer term ramifications for years.

Also, this story is not over. He probably shouldn't play either Thursday or over the weekend, or for a long as he still feels concussion symptoms. If he plays in that condition and suffers another concussion, it will be bad. Second-impact syndrome is almost always fatal with severe disability being the best case scenario.

ksf42001 said:
THFC6061 said:
ksf42001 said:
Honestly, with the Lloris situation, it never should have never been his decision to make whether he stayed on the field or not. He's obviously going to fight to stay on the field, and it's obvious the manager isn't likely to be doing any kind of long-term thinking in the heat of a match either.

That leaves the physio. Right now, the physio's job to do everything possible to make sure the player gets back on the field as quickly as possible. At the same time though, they need the power (and directive) to protect the player from themselves and be the final decision maker, even above the manager, when a head injury is involved. This type of action is starting to be implemented in some US sports, though there have been clear instances when the spirit/letter of the rules have been violated.

I'm more surprised though that this became big news at all, since the isn't the first instance of a playing losing consciousness in a match and continuing to play this year. The Stoke defender was out cold against City and Lukaku himself doesn't remember a goal from earlier in the year. It'll be interesting how many more incidents will have to occur before actual action is taken...

I agree with what you say, but it was the Spurs medical team who made the decision for Lloris to continue on Sunday, not AVB or the player himself.

And as they are the same medical team who saved Fabrice Muamba's life not so long ago, I think they have a good idea of what they're doing.

Whether or not there should be a mandatory replacement for players with concussion is another matter entirely.

Wow, I wasn't actually attacking Spurs in general, as I openly stated similar incidents to other players on other teams. This is a sport-wide issue that'll have to be addressed sooner or later. Hopefully sooner, but i'm not optimistic on that.

Since you do apparently want to specifically defend Spurs though, please stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Spurs was wrong in this case. It's great that they saved Muamba's life, but they failed Lloris here. The problem is that they may not know if there are longer term ramifications for years.

Also, this story is not over. He probably shouldn't play either Thursday or over the weekend, or for a long as he still feels concussion symptoms. If he plays in that condition and suffers another concussion, it will be bad. Second-impact syndrome is almost always fatal with severe disability being the best case scenario.

Perhaps Lloris should never play football ever again - just to be on the really safe side?

Let's re-cap for just a moment though.

Goalkeeper bumps head.

Goalkeeper unconscious for a minute.

Goalkeeper gets up and tells medics he feels fine to continue.

Trained, competent and qualified medical professionals examine him and agree.

Subsequent scans shows no sign of concussion and that medics and goalkeeper therefore correct.

Lloris probably won't play on Thursday, but that will have nothing to do with any medical condition.

But I fully expect him to be back between the sticks at the Lane on Sunday against Newcastle.

moomba said:
THFC6061 said:
moomba said:
Yes, I am aware that Tottenham came out with a different story a day or so later.

So where's your source stating AVB wanted Lloris taken off?

I dont have one. I asked the question as I recall him saying so immediately after the game.

Well I'm glad we cleared that one up so quickly.

THFC6061 said:
moomba said:
THFC6061 said:
So where's your source stating AVB wanted Lloris taken off?

I dont have one. I asked the question as I recall him saying so immediately after the game.

Well I'm glad we cleared that one up so quickly.

Do you misunderstand the concept of someone asking a question?

You've been unable to shed any light on what AVB said. So I'm not sure why you consider the smart arse replies were necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.