The Worlds biggest Bands

I dont know really, I've never really taken much notice of them and lump them in with bands like Human League, I do know they were much bigger at the time in America than here. To be honest it probably says more about a gap in my music knowledge than anything about them as a band. Probably similar to me being surprised when other people dont realise how big Def Leppard were in the states around the same time.

They recently sold out West Hams stadium and I went to see them play at the Olympic Stadium in Munich recently.

Depeche Mode

Currently going round the world filling football stadiums.

Just become the 1st band in history to sell out 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl.

About to come back to Europe for a winter arena tour.

DM are huge but selling out 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl is something other bands could do if they got the chance. As an article on it mentions, Phish sold out 13 consecutive nights at Madison Square Garden.

Huge but not top 6 huge.

It says something about modern music that almost all these bands listed are old as fuck.

Hey Taxi, can you go off topic on an off topic thread I wonder? No doubt the mods will let me know if you can't! Thought you might be interested:
I caught the 'Musical Box' at the Usher Hall Edinburgh on Saturday evening. They are a Canadian/French outfit who tour all over the world playing Gabriel Genesis. This specific tour replicates in every detail the Selling England By The Pound tour of 73/74. When I say replicates, I really mean it - every note, the set design, down to every costume change that Peter Gabriel made on the original tour. The lead singer even had Peter's dad dancing down to a tee.

Musically they were very good in replicating the original Genesis - etherial and rather stark sound when compared to the two drum combo of Collins/Chester Thompson. What struck me was just how 'out there' Gabriel was with his theatrics, intro stories and costumes. There were several moments of almost pythonesque humour that made me laugh out loud. Certainly, you must change with age as what I thought was 'cool as fck' when I was fifteen (batwing outfit with UV eye make up etc for Watcher ), now does seem a little gauche and pretentious when viewed with more cynical eyes. Also, the sound of a couple of thousand 50-60 year olds performing a word perfect 'suppers ready' will live with me for a while. It was a little bit of melancholy that I realised, I was sitting just a couple of rows from where Mrs S and I had watched the original band perform the Lamb Lies down in 1974. Whoosh, what was that? Your life mate!
have a good one

Enjoyed reading that pal as it brought back many fine memories.
Can there ever have been a genre more defined in depth or lyrical magnitude than prog rock.
So many fine bands out there that defined this moment in time so take a bow for you know who you are..

Not a massive lover of tribute bands persay but do appreciate a good interpretation of the facts never the less.
Musical box appear to cut it well and hold a good following wherever they go.

Peter was and still is a difficult act to master with his stage presence and well advanced of his time.
His voice chasing all the available octaves with it's characteristic shake and warble that's considered unreplicable by todays standards.
They threw the mold away when this character was whelped from the shire and so forever into the annals of prog rock history will his name be shouted.

His solo career has been a mighty fine ride but for me nothing will ever compare with his tenure at Genesis.
Every band member fusing in perfect harmony and delivering as one extended compositions of utter joy and bliss into the prog-rock halls of fame.

Here below are The Many Costumes of Peter Gabriel through the ages.
His Brittania at 4.33 was a masterpiece and taken from the moonlit knight.Some of the sound is very good indeed.
Have a look at Tommyguns re rendering on the you-tube that keep this blast from the past alive and kicking.

And here he is performing the full track of the Musical Box.
Look at his absolute energy and pure showmanship with or without the need for makeup or masks.
After I have listened to this piece I usually have to have a little lie down for ten minutes as it physically drains my energy fields and aura : /

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed reading that pal as it brought back many fine memories.
Can there ever have been a genre more defined in depth or lyrical magnitude than prog rock.
So many fine bands out there that defined this moment in time so take a bow for you know who you all are..

Not a massive lover of tribute bands persay but do appreciate a good interpretation of the facts never the less.
Musical box appear to cut it well and hold a good following wherever they go.

Peter was and still is a difficult act to master with his stage presence and so advanced of his time.
His voice chasing all the available octaves with it's characteristic shake and warble that's considered unreplicable by todays standards.
They threw the mold away when this character was whelped from the shires and so forever into the annals of prog rock history will his name be called out..

His solo career has been a mighty fine ride but for me nothing will ever compare with his tenure at Genesis.
Every band member fusing in perfect harmony and delivering as one entity extended compositions of utter joy and bliss into the prog-rock halls of fame.

Here below are The Many Costumes of Peter Gabriel through the ages.
His Brittania at 4.33 was a masterpiece and taken from the moonlit knight.Some of the sound is very good indeed.
Have a look at Tommyguns re rendering on the you-tube that keep this blast from the past alive and kicking.

And here he is performing the full track of the Musical Box.
Look at his absolute energy and pure showmanship with or without the need for makeup or masks.
After I have listened to this piece I usually have to have a little lie down for ten minutes as it physically drains my energy fields and aura : /

Each to their own and all that, but personally I thank the Lord God that Johnny Rotten, Joe Strummer, et al, effectively drove a dagger into the heart of 20 minute songs about wizards and forests

Each to their own and all that, but personally I thank the Lord God that Johnny Rotten, Joe Strummer, et al, effectively drove a dagger into the heart of 20 minute songs about wizards and forests
Yes Punk spelled the end for quite a few prog bands, even the proggiest of them all... Gentle Giant called it a day, never to be heard of again.
A few did survive however, like Yes & King Crimson but denuded somewhat in their appeal :)
Some prog bands went way over the top with their level of pretentiousness, and maybe this was its undoing. Gabriel with his childish dressing up, acting the parts was seen by many to be a step too far as was ELP's touring, with about 20 huge trucks full of PA systems and keyboards, Carl Palmers drums alone would probably be too big for the average night clubs stage, pretentious was the word.
Who remembers Rick Wakeman with his wizard silver cape outfit on and 29 keyboards surrounding him.......... "err .....5's not enough for me chaps"

Some bands did great things for music though, I liked how King Crimson fused Rock and Jazz, whereas Weather Report fused Jazz with Rock, theres a big difference because of the world each band came from. Anyway some very interesting music was developed by these two incredibly talented bands.

There is of course room for all genres in the world (and as you say each to his own)..........even Taxi's love of nonsensical Gabrielesque lyrics :)

They recently sold out West Hams stadium and I went to see them play at the Olympic Stadium in Munich recently.
They did indeed and what a fine concert it was. Will see them next month in Birmingham. Always a great gig.

For a band who have sold in excess of 100m records, who have influenced more modern day artists than any other and who are the most re-mixed band of all time they do have a habit of slipping under the radar somewhat.

Not in the top 6 though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.