Too many guitarists, not enough piano players?

Shaelumstash

I'm as excited as anyone about us being linked with Sterling, De Bruyne and Firminio. But do they adresss the biggest weaknesses in our squad from last season?

Creating chances wasn't a huge issue, yet of the 4 main players we are being linked with, 3 of them are creative players. Even Pogba (who I think would be a sensational buy) is more comfortable going forward than he is going backwards.

The main area of weakness last season was in central midfield. Yaya's legs are a year older, Milner's gone, Lampard's gone, Fernando is appalling, which leaves Fernandinho as the only centre midfielder currently in the squad who is capable of playing regularly to a high stadard in a 442.

As I said, Pogba would be an absolute dream signing, but I definitely feel we need at least one more player capable of playing box to box. Interested to know what other Blues think?

I actually think it has been, we've had the same creative options in Nasri, Silva and Yaya for a very long time and two of them can't be trusted with those duties anymore. We cant have just Silva in charge of making every chance for our strikers while he gets the shit kicked out of him, we simply need more options. Every other powerhouse club (Barca/Bayern/Real) is beating us in this regard and we need to catch up.

We need a pacy winger who can finish, which is where Sterling fits in.

KDB is a creative player like Silva and we do need another one depending on what's going on with Nasri. So KDB, Sterling, Pogba IMO. Aside from Pogba, Kondogbia is another one I think can help the central midfield problem. I've rarely seen Firmino so I'm not sure.

I think Koke would have been very ideal for us. Perfect workrate and fills up areas where others fall short. It's a shame AM won't let him go.

I agree with the poster above we lacked ideas and creativity too many times last season in too many games. One CM will do fine.

we need more variety, we need Plan B and Plan C, we need to, at 0-0, be able to completely change it up and the defence go "oh bugger, how do we deal with this?", we need to have so much variety that opposition managers and video staff can't come up with a plan that will nullify us in training. We need the options and variety in number of players because we aren't fortunate enough to be a Barca who can have so much of that variety and talent in 3 frontmen, so we need the options to rotate to mix it up and break defences.

Shaelumstash...Last season, I think we struggled against many teams that we should have blown away....Teams just liked to put 11men behind the ball and sometimes we struggled to break them down......I really think we were missing a couple of more "direct" players that had pace....we are a great passing team but seemed to lack that pace/quickness to spark the team in some games.....I think Sterling would answer many of those questions (as well as being HG)....I do think Pogba would also be an important signing, as Yaya wont be around forever and having someone to take over and build around for the long term would be amazing for the club and us fans....both are young, talented and I feel "fit" into the type of player/style we need to take us to that next level.....just my opinion tho! thanks for starting the discussion.....

I agree with the OP. Last season we mad the likes of Liverpool look class because we weren't tenacious enough in midfield. The best teams can attack and defend with ferocity. You need 2 powerful CMs, like Fernandinho and Yaya in their prime, and at least 2 high octane attacking players, the likes of Sanchez or Tevez.

Whoever we sign I hope they add to the sharpness of our overall play, not just attack or defence alone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.