True Legends

I recall, back in 1973, after 50 years of being at Maine Road, the club polled the fans for their greatest ever player, and Bert Trautmann won by a huge margin.

He'll hardly get a mention these days as the supporters who remember him so fondly have sadly passed on, and I include my father in that number, who always, and without hesitation, said he was City's finest ever player, and he took me to Maine Road in the late 60's and early 70's when we watched legends like Bell, Lee and Summerbee.

He'd been watching City since the late 20's, so never saw Meredith playing for us. Maybe if he had, he'd have said he was our finest ever player. Who knows?

I never asked him about Roy Paul, or Ernie Toseland, and if I had he may have gone all misty eyed and warmly remembered them.

Some on here name players in our recent history as legends. I don't agree they are. Paul Dickov for instance, who was keen as mustard to score the penalty for Leicester that would probably have relegated us, but fortunately failed. No, he was as useless as a headless chicken, and ran around the pitch with as much effect.

I wouldn't even put Kinky in the list. He couldn't be bothered playing for us one day because he had toothache.

If you want a legend, look no further than Zabba. I don't know how many times he's broken his nose playing for us, but he was there, fighting the cause and doing his very best, and never shied away from anything. We'll not see him trying to relegate us or crying off because of a bit of toothache.

I've seen some wonderful players over the years in the blue shirt. Rodney Marsh is by far the most skillfull I have ever seen. Dave Watson was an absolute rock, Summerbee the trickiest winger I have seen playing for us, and Francis Lee was a blunderbuss, but I can honestly say, out of all the players I have seen over the years, Pablo Zabeleta is the cream of the crop.

After 50 years of watching City, he is the main man for me. He's my number one player.

Re: PZ -- as a sheepish Yank who only started watching, following and falling head over heels in love with City in 02, I think the perspective this post provides to a fan like me is great. That's a tremendous tribute to a man I've always suspected was a "legend" but didn't have enough context to confirm. Thank you.

And re: Trautmann -- in the US, anyone finishing a match in any sport at any level with a broken neck would be a legend -- we're like that over here.

On another note, interesting how few mentioned Tevez. Like here in the US in baseball, when so many home-run hitting/pitching stars of the 90s were later found to have been pumping PEDs up each other in the locker room, Tevez's standing has surely been tarnished by the "afters" (i.e. Golfgate).

Personally, I'd consider him a legend for his goals, his fucking over Utd, and his presence on that billboard anyway, despite that.

Last edited:
I hope everybody realizes that David Silva has never won City's player of the year, this cannot go on.So please everyone don't let this injustice go on and make David player of the year this year.

I voted for him.

It's virtually impossible to pick just five legends from the entire history of the club. How far back do you go?

Billy Meredith was the first footballing "superstar"

From the great side that won our first league title, there were players like Peter Doherty, Frank Swift and Eric Brook.

The fifties saw players such as Roy Paul. Bert Trautmann, Johnny Hart and Ken Barnes.

During the Mercer/Allison era, we had Colin Bell, Francis Lee, Mike Summerbee, Alan Oakes, Neil Young and Mike Doyle.

In the mid '70s, there were Dave Watson, Dennis Tueart, Tommy Booth and Mike Doyle (again).

And from the HRH Sheikh Mansour era, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Yaya Touré, Sergio Agüero, David Silva and even joe Hart.

All of the above could easily be in the top five all-time City legends, but if I had to pick five, I'd probably go with:

Meredith, Swift, Trautmann, Bell and Silva, though not necessarily in that order.

How anybody can mention Tevez and Toure is beyond me. A legend is someone who genuinely cares about the club, always gives 100% for the club and treats it with the same respect as the fans. They're both brilliant players and achieved brilliant things but they're both disrespectful cnuts who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

Honestly never thought I'd hear a City fan say they wouldn't piss on YaYa if he was on fire

Honestly never thought I'd hear a City fan say they wouldn't piss on YaYa if he was on fire
I was right there with him till that last bit as well. One of those moments when you're half way to standing up ready to give someone a round of applause, then they go and say something just that little bit too far and you have to sheepishly sit down.

No way are Yaya or Tevez legends, they've been incredibly useful and effective mercenaries who have showed the club or the fans any respect whatsoever. Legends are more than just good performances on the pitch and they both fall way short off it

I was right there with him till that last bit as well. One of those moments when you're half way to standing up ready to give someone a round of applause, then they go and say something just that little bit too far and you have to sheepishly sit down.

No way are Yaya or Tevez legends, they've been incredibly useful and effective mercenaries who have showed the club or the fans any respect whatsoever. Legends are more than just good performances on the pitch and they both fall way short off it
I know what you're saying but ...

Yaya - on his day, unstoppable. For me, arguably the best player I have ever seen play for us in his prime. Just wish he'd told his agent to do one years ago.

I know what you're saying but ...

Yaya - on his day, unstoppable. For me, arguably the best player I have ever seen play for us in his prime. Just wish he'd told his agent to do one years ago.
I'm not one of those people willing to pretend that's just his agent and not him. Don't care how good someone is on their day, they have to put in the effort every single time and act like they care about the club if they are going to be a legend in my book. No way anyone who cared remotely about the club would sanction their agent to drag us through the mud, time and again. Not convinced he's always given 100% either tbh, which is both a testament to how bloody talented he is and how unprofessional he has been at times

No way is Yaya a legend???????

Get fucked, there is not a player in our history to score as many big goals.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.