TV Series

Only disssss

A 'very good' in season 3 and it could actually surpass the sopranos for me.... flawless soundtrack and authenticity thus far and storytelling at its finest..

Those who have watched it should try romanzo criminale.... just as good and based on a true story, only 2 series unfortunately!

On it. (By on it, I probably mean, "I'll be back to ask you where to get it". : )

I've not seen either of the 2, not even half an episode, the only thing I know about Sopranos is the big fella James is in it, as for the Wire, I know absolutely nothing of it.

I've nothing on the go at the moment, waiting for Narcos S3 to start, so which of the 2 would you recommend while I wait, Wire or Sopranos. I believe they are both multi season productions, so a fair bit of investment required to see them through. My tastes are varied, I enjoyed Homeland, The Killing, The Americans, Narcos, El Chapo, Peaky Blinders to name a few.

Cheers in advance.
They're both prhenominal for different reasons.
The Sopranos is probably an easier watch as the Wire is certainly a slow burner, not as instantly gratifying as say, Narcos or Peaky Blinders.
It's basically a detailed look at the decaying of the urban American city from different aspects, each season focuses on one particular theme.
There are five seasons, seasons two to four are particularly strong. Once you get into it, you'll be hooked.
I've actually gone to academic discussions about different aspects of the show, I loved it that much.
Sopranos is class, just shows the different aspects to a mob bosses life, having to deal with regular shit like the rest of us do as well as the criminal side which is constant. The acting is brilliant, as is the writing.
The two shows showed the limit of your regular films, when instead of two hours, you could develop plot and character over several seasons.
The explosion of 'box-set' series these last 10 years, owes its success to the critical acclaim of the wire and commercial and critical success of the Sopranos.
The wire is greater and may never be surpassed but they are both wonderful watches.
I'm going to start boardwalk empire myself soon.

The Sopranos is probably an easier watch as the Wire is certainly a slow burner, not as instantly gratifying as say, Narcos or Peaky Blinders.
It's basically a detailed look at the decaying of the urban American city from different aspects, each season focuses on one particular theme.
There are five seasons, seasons two to four are particularly strong. Once you get into it, you'll be hooked.
I've actually gone to academic discussions about different aspects of the show, I loved it that much.
Sopranos is class, just shows the different aspects to a mob bosses life, having to deal with regular shit like the rest of us do as well as the criminal side which is constant. The acting is brilliant, as is the writing.
The two shows showed the limit of your regular films, when instead of two hours, you could develop plot and character over several seasons.
The explosion of 'box-set' series these last 10 years, owes its success to the critical acclaim of the wire and commercial and critical success of the Sopranos.
The wire is greater and may never be surpassed but they are both wonderful watches.

Thanks for that mate, great introduction to both, I'll report back as and when.

As it happens Boardwalk Empire was the first of these 'mega series' that I watched, about 3yrs ago, this after hearing the theme tune and looking it up. I know I enjoyed it but it would need to re-watch it for me to attempt a full appraisal, memory's shot.

Cheers again.

This looks good

Manhunt: Unabomber...

An in-depth look at how an FBI profiler helped track down the Unabomber.

191a96a0c0b1e20e9763796a6ff5b8d3.png

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5618256/

This looks good

Manhunt: Unabomber...

An in-depth look at how an FBI profiler helped track down the Unabomber.

191a96a0c0b1e20e9763796a6ff5b8d3.png

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5618256/

Watched Bettany talk about this (along with being a Yank now! Why do any half decent actors switch citizenship as soon as they can?) on Colbert's 'Late Night'.

Will watch it myself.

I really liked Boardwalk but Sopranos and Wire are still the daddies for me.

I have just watched the first series of Stranger Things this week. My daughters recommended it to me and one downloaded it to my iPad for our flight home from holiday.

I thought it was brilliant. I know nothing about the guys that made it but can only assume they are big fans of Spielberg, John Carpenter and Stephen King, especially as they explicitly feature direct references to the latter pair in one of the later episodes.

It's set in 1983 and in many respects looks as if it was shot then, which made it a very nostalgic watch.

I really liked Boardwalk but Sopranos and Wire are still the daddies for me.

I have just watched the first series of Stranger Things this week. My daughters recommended it to me and one downloaded it to my iPad for our flight home from holiday.

I thought it was brilliant. I know nothing about the guys that made it but can only assume they are big fans of Spielberg, John Carpenter and Stephen King, especially as they explicitly feature direct references to the latter pair in one of the later episodes.

It's set in 1983 and in many respects looks as if it was shot then, which made it a very nostalgic watch.

Tried Boardwalk Empire after watching both The Sopranos and The Wire. Just didn't get on with it. The script was leaden and the characters seemed really flat compared to The Sopranos and The Wire. Lasted 4 eps but gave up. Just didn't do it for me.

The Americans - after a dodgy start - has turned into one of the great shows. Up there with The Sopranos, The Wire and Mad Men.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.