VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

The watch should be linked to the screen so we all no the true amount there are no excuses not to do it anymore
The biggest WTF moments from the last WC was the amount of time added to both halves of a game compared to that added to PL and CL games. The clock, ask Fergie, is probably the most obvious aspect of the game that can be manipulated.

The watch should be linked to the screen so we all no the true amount there are no excuses not to do it anymore

You can only really do that with any benefit in a sport where the official clock is stopping and starting. Most clubs do have a 90 minute clock on the scoreboard now. But it’s a bit meaningless until the referee decides how much time to add on for each half.

There was talk from FIFA of trialling it maybe four or five years ago. From memory I think David Ellary was pushing for it. But all seems to have gone quiet on that front now. It wouldn’t completely eradicate time wasting. But I’m struggling to think of any negatives to at least giving it a go.

i mentioned this on the cricket thread, but the way they use it in cricket leaves absolutely no doubt as to how and why they make a decision , i appreciate cricket is a totally different ball game (phnar phnar) to football, however it seems so much more transparent.

i mentioned this on the cricket thread, but the way they use it in cricket leaves absolutely no doubt as to how and why they make a decision , i appreciate cricket is a totally different ball game (phnar phnar) to football, however it seems so much more transparent.

There’s really little fair comparison though. The odd dodgy catch aside, a cricket video umpire is pretty much just relaying whether the computer says if someone is out or not.

If you’re going to compare it to football, the better comparison would be how it works in relation to goal line technology. Which nobody has any issues with.

You can only really do that with any benefit in a sport where the official clock is stopping and starting. Most clubs do have a 90 minute clock on the scoreboard now. But it’s a bit meaningless until the referee decides how much time to add on for each half.

There was talk from FIFA of trialling it maybe four or five years ago. From memory I think David Ellary was pushing for it. But all seems to have gone quiet on that front now. It wouldn’t completely eradicate time wasting. But I’m struggling to think of any negatives to at least giving it a go.
It should be taken out of the ref’s hands. A separate time keeper should be used

absolutely pal, they do it in rugby, but then again certain teams cant manipulate it if everyone can see!

Didn't see this on any other thread. Doesn't solve any of the problems, just shifts them. More useless rule changes coming .....

View attachment 85233
Its a Golden Ticket Yes from me. For over 100 years linesmen used to look for daylight between players when the ball was kicked. It gives the advantage back to the attacking team which is as it should be. VAR decisions should be a lot quicker too.

Had this rule been in place I truly believe City would have at least one more CL trophy.

Yup. Daylight between players was a simple thing that VAR has truly fucked up.

Same as handball over complicated. It's either a penalty or an indirect free kick (considering the gravity of giving a penalty).

But VAR and whoever run it have made a total pigs ear of it , so angry at them, it's our game ffs!

The ESPN guy has confirmed that this idea from Wenger is in the very early stages of trials, mainly at youth level. And it will be years ( if ever ) until it is considered as an actual law charge across the board.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.