Vauxhall car plant, Ellesmere Port

The Pink Panther

Can someone explain something to me please
Peugeot are looking to purchase Vauxhall Ellesmere Port and the danger then is that they will close the factory and move all operations over to mainland Europe to protect French and German jobs
Peugeot is 13% French government owned

When it was all kicking off in South Wales regarding the steel plant that TATA was looking to mothball, the UK government said they couldn't get involved or subsidise as it was against EU regulations

Is there a conflict here between what the UK abides to and the rest of Europe?

Your monosyllabic answer to his non-trivial question is misleading in that it implies it is "us" vs "them", i.e. that we want to do something and 27 other states want to stop us.

But it is not that way at all. It is simply that in the EU, we are all bound by the same rules THAT WE VOTED FOR. We agreed when forming these rules, that it was sensible to have a level playing field and not allow any one government to prop up their own businesses to the detriment of workers in other countries. We decided we wanted fair competition across the 28 markets, i.e. a good idea.

Can someone explain something to me please
Peugeot are looking to purchase Vauxhall Ellesmere Port and the danger then is that they will close the factory and move all operations over to mainland Europe to protect French and German jobs
Peugeot is 13% French government owned

When it was all kicking off in South Wales regarding the steel plant that TATA was looking to mothball, the UK government said they couldn't get involved or subsidise as it was against EU regulations

Is there a conflict here between what the UK abides to and the rest of Europe?

The only two countries in the EU, I think, who stick as near to the rules as they are written, are us and the Germans. The rest massage them to fit national interest. The French go on and on about 'Perfidious Albion' but would anyone trust the likes of Hollande as far as they could kick the Tour Eiffel?

The only two countries in the EU, I think, who stick as near to the rules as they are written, are us and the Germans. The rest massage them to fit national interest. The French go on and on about 'Perfidious Albion' but would anyone trust the likes of Hollande as far as they could kick the Tour Eiffel?
Even the Germans award most of their national contracts to German companies. Most German police cars are German (as are ours, of course)! I think the insistence on tendering when it really wasn't required is one of the greatest disservices successive UK governments have made to the UK economy.
We want to 'stand on our own two feet' but pick the Germans to make our trains, the Americans to supervise HS2 and the French to build our nuclear power stations. Enormous infrastructure projects that should be halted and retendered if and when Brexit happens.

Check out Germany's trade surplus.

As I understand as part of the EU we would be protected by those rules, as they wouldn't be able to close UK plants just to protect French jobs, so they would be subsidising UK jobs as well, though they might find other justification. As by the time this happens we will be leaving the EU then they can do what they want.

Even the Germans award most of their national contracts to German companies. Most German police cars are German (as are ours, of course)! I think the insistence on tendering when it really wasn't required is one of the greatest disservices successive UK governments have made to the UK economy.
We want to 'stand on our own two feet' but pick the Germans to make our trains, the Americans to supervise HS2 and the French to build our nuclear power stations. Enormous infrastructure projects that should be halted and retendered if and when Brexit happens.

We are in a position to be willing and able to source from the best suppliers whoever they may be. Go to France and see if the insular cheese monkeys do the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.