Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the man and what he has done for us, and will ALWAYS cut players slack after such a long absence but he was pretty poor yesterday.
On the ball he will take time to get used to the intricate way we play at the back and thought his positional sense in a back 3 was nothing short of abysmal, being totally cut throat about it
I felt a tad sorry for him as they were so deep but broke in a very wide '3' themselves with Austin often being the deepest of their attack and peeling off Vinnie
A few times a group of us all noticed Austin pulling deep & Tadic/Redmond spinning in behind and Kompany took the gamble at going with Austin and was left 15 yards out of position within about 2 seconds
Again, he needs time but we were a far, far superior side once he came off... but will always be better in the final 10 minutes when we are pushing for the late goal of course

So good to see him back and seeming unscathed.
I thought he did look very rusty and a mixture of tentative and sloppy on the ball.
BUT.......if he can keep fit and play more games he could be the difference between us winning trophies and not - I honestly think he is still that important to us.

Thought he was partially responsible for the saints goal moving towards the forward instead of dropping to give stones an option.

Can't believe anyone thought he didn't play ok yesterday, although at times he was just keeping the ball moving that's to be expected. He tried a couple balls and one or two of them were really good, was very happy with his overall performance, considering.

Vinny has build so much credit that we simply can't judge him on the basis of one match he plays after a long injury.

Vinnie's one saving grace from Pep's axe (for this season at least) is the fact that he used to be a midfielder. One aspect of his game that people seriously underestimate is that he's actually a ball-playing CB as well as a bruising one. Obviously not Pique, but superb. I could make the argument that both Javi Martinez and Holger Badstuber were also made out of glass but Pep's just too unpredictable, I genuinely fear for his future.
#CityLovesYouMoreThanYouWillKnoooow

I think he did ok considering his situation. It will be great to have him fully fit.

Last edited:
Was at fault for the goal by moving out of position, and his use of the ball was woeful.

Really? Woeful is extremely harsh IMO. There were one or two passes that went awry and a fair bit of sideways safety first stuff, but other than that I thought he gave a reasonable account of himself. I don't think he's as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Otamendi, never mind Stones, but for such a big unit he's still more than useful in possession in my book, and yesterday was the first time this season a big opposition centre forward hasn't been able to win everything in the air and hold the ball up unmolested. Considering how long he's been out I thought he did pretty well yesterday

Was at fault for the goal by moving out of position, and his use of the ball was woeful.
Look, I do think he looked rusty and was often confused on where to position himself, but that pass was all on Stones. Even though Kompany stepped forward as Stones made the pass, it is still all on Stones. Had Kompany vnot stepped forward, that still would have been a bad pass coz Kompany would have immediately been put under a more serious pressure than Stones was under himself.

Funny enough, I think John was showing deference there and had it been anyone else other than Komps I reckon he'll have pointed exactly where the player needed to move too.

Kompany should have stepped backwards and towards Stones opening up for a pass. Instead you could tell he sensed danger and was stepping up to avoid being passed to. That is still Stones fukup though.

If your teammate is hiding from the ball you have to find other options. Not force it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.