What is there new and worthwhile to do in Manchester?

It' fucking desperate mate. I had a chat with a homeless guy and he said they had to close the Salvation Army shelter as the land had been sold. I remember a documentary on TV just a few years ago about homeless in Manchester and the police moving them on. Now it seems as there's money involved there' no where to move them on to, so they'e happy for them to sleep in shop doorways etc.
That is horrible to hear but also not entirely surprising. As I said earlier in the thread, I volunteer at a shelter here in Boston—partly because as soon as we moved here I saw that there was a homelessness and basic services issue—and a similar thing is happening in this area. Boston and Manchester actually have quite a lot in common when it comes to housing markets (and steep upward price trajectory), land/industry development trends, and relative lack of social services being compounded by incentivised actions contrary to those services. Even after moving away from Manchester I’ve been trying keep up with those market trends as I still have some investments in firms there and we may very well settle back at some point. It sounds like it may be worse than what I have read or heard from family, though.

Regardless, the missus won’t be put off, as she and I used to go on missions for Medecins Sans Frontieres so we have seen much worse (how we met, actually), but I do think we may end up spending more time engaging people around the city in those positions. We had a holiday in Portland and Seattle (US west coast) earlier this summer and the problem was much more pronounced in Portland than even here (and I imagine Manchester now but may be wrong) due to the accerlerated land development, gentrification, and drug problems. It is a very fast growing city that is struggling to manage the influx of people, housed or otherwise, in many ways. We spent a good amount of time just talking to homeless people (and other residents about the homeless issues) as we walked about—it was somewhat disheartening but also informative. It actually lead to my connecting a manager of one their shelters with a operations director of a nonprofit in Boston to determine if they could establish some resource sharing. We’re a bit strange in that we don’t really have traditional holidays.

I may work to do that in Manchester as I know a few that provide services there now.

Last edited:
I brought some Canadians and Yanks across for a derby a couple of years ago. They loved the 'temple of convenience' and the 'grey horse'. Also enjoyed the traditional pubs around the northern quarter.
I am fairly sure I once relieved my self at the Temple when I was younger so going there for a pint would definitely be a interesting experience.

I have a mate that lives in N4 and he plans to take us on a crawl (which, for him, will be literal by the end of the night). I’ve not spent much time there in the past decade or so but I know it’s changed quite a lot and we do plan meander through.

Anything else of note there now not related to food or drink? The missus is an artist so we already plan to visit the Manchester Craft and Design Centre. We may take in a show, as well, depending on what’s on.

I am fairly sure I once relieved my self at the Temple when I was younger so going there for a pint would definitely be a interesting experience.

I have a mate that lives in N4 and he plans to take us on a crawl (which, for him, will be literal by the end of the night). I’ve not spent much time there in the past decade or so but I know it’s changed quite a lot and we do plan meander through.

Anything else of note there now not related to food or drink? The missus is an artist so we already plan to visit the Manchester Craft and Design Centre. We may take in a show, as well, depending on what’s on.
Sorry mate, I wouldn't be the best to tell you. I haven't lived in Manchester for 15 years. I go back a lot, but just for weekends/games etc, and its generally with lads. Comedy store was decent if she likes that, but Bluemoon is full of 'cultured' people, so I'm sure someone will help out!? ;-). See what's on at the Bridgewater.

I had heard they had finally rennovated that place (only a matter of time with the direction of the land and retail market there) but hadn’t thought to look in to it for my return.

Any shop especially good?
Ok for a beer or a glass or two of vino
usually busy

Edinburgh Castle of course. We enjoyed walking up to Arthur's Seat. Great views on a clear day. Royal Mile.

Cloud 23 in Manchester? King Street Townhouse? Ordsall Hall. Why not stop,off in Windermere? Visit York, Chester?

Edinburgh Castle of course. We enjoyed walking up to Arthur's Seat. Great views on a clear day. Royal Mile.

Cloud 23 in Manchester? King Street Townhouse? Ordsall Hall. Why not stop,off in Windermere? Visit York, Chester?
We’re on the train up to Edinburgh with anytime tickets and will be visiting York and—despite my protestations—Newcastle on the way up.

The Castle is definitely on our list, as well.

I forgot to mention that a mate will be taking us to the Celtic v Motherwell match now, too. Not a supporter but can’t turn it down, especially as the missus was not opposed to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.